Singapore-MIT Undergraduate Research Fellowships (SMURF) opens for applications to carry out research in Singapore. This enables undergraduates from MIT, NTU, and NUS to participate in an MIT-SMART faculty member’s Singapore research project and interact with students and faculty from diverse backgrounds.
Attachment period is from June 1, 2018, and July 31, 2018, inclusive. Orientation will be held on June 01, 2018.
Research at the SMART Centre is organized into Interdisciplinary Research Groups (IRGs). The projects within the IRGs are below:
- BioSystems and Micromechanics (BioSyM)
- Future Urban Mobility (FM)
- Low Energy Electronic Systems (LEES)
- Innovation Centre (IC)
Worth of Award
- Each undergraduate will have a SMART researcher as a mentor and conduct research within the MIT-SMART faculty member’s research project.
- The SMURF will have access and use of the faculty’s laboratory and equipment.
- Other benefits
MIT, NTU, and NUS undergraduates in good standing who have already, or would have successfully completed their first year are eligible to apply.
- SMART IRG: Select the Interdisciplinary Research Group (IRG) that fits your research interest (maximum 2, if applicable).
- Project List: Identify a project within the SMART IRG that fits your research interest. If you have more than one interest, rank your preferences.
- MIT-SMART Investigator: Select the MIT Investigator’s name from the project you selected above. If you have more than one interest, rank your preferences.
- Personal Statement: Submit a 1-3 page statement describing why you would like to work on that particular project (i.e. provide some background information about yourself, include potential outcomes working on his/her project, goals, etc.).
- Transcript or Grade Report: Provide an electronic version (in pdf) of your most recent transcript or grade report (even if it is unofficial).
- Referees: Provide 2 referees. Your referee can be a faculty, or (senior) lecturer, or (senior) research scientist or a department supervisor from your home institution or a manager from an organization.
- Enter your referees name and university or organization’s email address on the online form.
- Once you submit your application, your referee will receive an email asking them to submit their recommendation letter via our online portal.
- The letter they provide must be prepared using their official university or organization’s letterhead.
- Deadline to submit the recommendation letter is 27 January 2018.
Deadline: Application period is from November 2017 to January 27, 2018. The status of your application will be sent by email on or before February 23, 2018, Singapore time.