SMART 2018 Scholars Programme opens for applications for international postdoctoral research students to apply for the SMART Scholars Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Singapore 2018. These awards will provide a unique opportunity for recent or soon to be Ph.D. graduates to participate in the Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology (SMART) Centre in Singapore, and to become members of an alumni network that will continue to evolve and expand over the years.
The awards, to be given annually, are open to those with less than three years post doctoral experience and provided they have received their doctoral degree by 1 August 2018. The fellowship recipient would be able to conduct research of his/her own choice in Singapore within, but not necessarily tied closely to, a current project in one of the existing SMART Interdisciplinary Research Groups (IRGs) and or the SMART Innovation Centre. It is anticipated that the recipients will take up their appointments at SMART by 1 September 2018.
Worth of Award
- The awards provide a fixed annual salary of S$120,000 per year (not eligible for 13 month bonus or annual increment),
- A research grant of up to S$20,000 per year,
- Computer purchase grant of up to S$1,000,
- A travel grant of up to S$2,500 per year,
- And eligible for a six-month stay at MIT with funds up to S$15,000.
- Open to those with less than three years postdoctoral experience and provided they have received their doctoral degree by 1 August 2018.
- Recent or soon to be Ph.D. graduates
How to Apply
- SMART IRG: Select the SMART Interdisciplinary Research Group (IRG) you would like to conduct your research in. The proposed research project should align with one of the SMART IRGs: BioSyM, FM, LEES, AMR or DiSTAP. There is also an opportunity to work with the Innovation Centre. Here, scholars will have the opportunity to research the Innovation Centre’s processes, assess the center’s strengths and weaknesses, and provide recommendations for improvements.
- MIT Mentor: Identify the MIT faculty member who belongs to SMART that you feel could best provide mentorship and guidance on your proposed research.
- Research Statement: Submit a 1-3 page description of the research project you propose to conduct at SMART, including some background/context, technical approach and anticipated results.
- Objective: Provide a brief description of why you want to conduct your research at SMART in Singapore.
- Career Goals: Describe your long-term career goals and role of this postdoctoral experience in achieving them, including future plans for collaborative activities.
- CV: Curriculum Vitae not to exceed 2 pages.
- List of Publications: Provide a complete list of publications. In addition, also include copies of not more than 3 publications, combined in a single PDF file, that you consider to represent your best work.
- Optional: Provide the Selection Committee any other information you feel will be helpful in accessing your application
- Referees: Provide 3 professional names of your referee. One must be your doctoral supervisor and the other 2 persons must be qualified to comment on your scholarly achievements. Your referees must submit their recommendation online together with your application through our online application. NOTE: The letter must be prepared using their official institution or organization’s letterhead.
Deadline: The application period is from December 2017 to April 13, 2018. The status of your application will be sent by email on or before May 23, 2018, Singapore time.