CERN openlab Summer Students Internship in Switzerland opens for applications for B.Sc. or M.Sc. students who will have completed at least three years of full-time studies at university level by next spring in Computer Science or Mathematics, Engineering or Physics.
The internship is for those interested in working on an advanced IT project for two full months during the summer.
During two full months corresponding to nine weeks (June-August 2018), the CERN openlab summer students will be given a series of IT lectures especially prepared for them by experts at CERN and other institutes. The students also have the opportunity to attend the CERN generic student programme lectures, if they wish. Visits to the accelerators and experimental areas are part of the programme, as well as visits to external companies. A report on the work project carried out is to be handed in at the end of the stay.
Worth of Award
- An allowance of 90 CHF per day during your contractual dates
- Travel allowance (on a lump sum basis)
- Assistance to find accommodation on the CERN site or nearby
- Health insurance scheme during the duration of your contract
- 9 weeks of stay – 40h/week
Possible dates of stay are:
- 18 June to 17 August 2018
- 25 June to 24 August 2018
- 02 July to 31 August 2018
- You must be a Bachelor or Master student in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or Physics (with a strong computing profile)
- You have completed, by summer 2018, at least three years of full-time studies at university level.
- You will remain registered as a student during your stay at CERN. If you expect to graduate during summer 2018, you are also eligible to apply.
- You have not worked at CERN before with any other status (Technical Student, Trainee, User…) for more than 3 months and you have not been a CERN summer student in the past.
- A good knowledge of English is mandatory; knowledge of French would be an advantage.
How to Apply
- Please apply online before the deadline.
- Once your application has been submitted you will receive a confirmation e-mail.
- The following documents MUST reach them before the deadline in order for your application to be considered.
- Proof of enrolment at a university for the current year
- Report on Candidate: Once your application has been submitted you will receive a confirmation e-mail which contains a link to this report which has to be forwarded to at least one referee (preferably a professor). In order to be considered, at least one new report must reach us before the deadline.The report on candidate needs to be less than 6 months old at the deadline.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The students are welcome to upload other relevant documents (s) (e.g. academic records).
Deadline: application closes February 19, 2018
The results of the selection procedure will be made available to the students by mid-April 2018.