The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine LSHTM offers two highly competitive PACF Scholarships available to applicants from sub-Saharan Africa intending to study at LSHTM on a one-year, full-time, London-based 2018-19 qualifying MSc programme.MSc Scholarship for International Students in UK
It is intended to support an excellent candidate who would be unable to take up a place of study without this financial support.
London School’s mission is to be a world-leading school of public and global health, working closely with partners in the UK and worldwide to address contemporary and future critical health challenges.MSc Scholarship for International Students in UK
The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine is a world-leading centre for research and postgraduate education in public and global health.MSc Scholarship for International Students in UK
Worth of Award
Each MSc Scholarship for International Students in UK will cover:
- tuition fees, including any mandatory field trip fees, and
- a tax-free stipend (living allowance) of GBP 16,750.00, and
- GBP 2,000.00 towards MSc project costs, and
- a training support grant for the practical learning element of the award.
It is a condition of this funding that PACF Scholars must undertake a three-month practical element at PACF’s London office, during the period they conduct their MSc project. The purpose of this is to provide students with training, learning, and practical experience, and an opportunity to complete their MSc project, whilst undertaking their placement at PACF.
To be eligible for these MSc Scholarship for International Students in UK, applicants must
- be nationals of, and resident in, countries in sub-Saharan Africa; and
- intend to return to sub-Saharan Africa on completion of their MSc year at the School; and
- have 2 years experience working in any function (board, staff, volunteer etc.) within a grassroots community-based organisation with a focus on HIV/AIDS and/or public health intervention. The selection committee considers a grassroots community organisation to be a non-profit group that work with local communities in delivering HIV/AIDS and/or public health interventions. Applications are encouraged from volunteers, youth group leaders, peer-support group leaders who are delivering locally based interventions.
- confirm (by submitting an application for this scholarship) that s/he would not otherwise be able to pay for their proposed programme of study, and
- agree to undertaking a 3 month placement with PACF, in their London office, during the summer (whilst simultaneously undertaking their MSc project); and
- meet the School’s minimum English language requirements, as required for admission to study, if short-listed; and
- hold an offer of admission for 2018-19 for one of the following London-based MSc programmes of study:
- MSc Control of Infectious Diseases
- MSc Epidemiology
- MSc Health Policy, Planning & Financing
- MSc Public Health
- MSc Reproductive & Sexual Health
- MSc Public Health for Development
- Applicants should ensure they demonstrate outstanding experience and qualifications in their study and scholarship applications, as appropriate. Preference will be given to those candidates who show how their skills and knowledge might be applied to community HIV/AIDS interventions, and who explain how they will be effective catalysts of change in their communities, particularly with regard to community HIV/AIDS interventions, once they have completed their MSc programme of study.
How to Apply
Applicants should complete both steps below by the scholarship deadline.
Step 1: Submit an application for an eligible 2018-19 London-based MSc programme of study, as per instructions under the ‘How to Apply’ tab on the relevant programme of study page, ensuring that all necessary supplementary documents (including references) are submitted via the Admissions portal as soon as possible to ensure that an offer of admission is held by the scholarship deadline.
Step 2: Submit an online scholarships application, selecting the option ‘PACF MSc Scholarships’. A completed Supplementary Questions Form for this scholarship must be uploaded as part of the Scholarship application. (This is the only document which should be uploaded on the Scholarships online application.)
Deadline: Applications close midnight (GMT) on Sunday 18 February 2018