The International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) offers outstanding mathematicians from developing countries, including postdoctorate researchers the opportunity to do research in Italy. The fellowships have 12-month duration with a possible extension for a further 12 months; the initial period will be 1 September 2018 – 31 August 2019.
For more than 50 years, the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) has been a driving force behind global efforts to advance scientific expertise in the developing world.
Postdoctoral Fellowships are intended for young mathematicians with a strong research record. Fellows must have completed a Ph.D. in mathematics prior to the start of their fellowship. Women are particularly encouraged to apply. Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
Worth of Award
Preference will be given to candidates who:
- will benefit most from the time spent at ICTP in pursuit of their own research, using the ICTP facilities and participating in ICTP activities; and
- will interact with local scientists and visitors and will contribute to the intellectual vitality of the Centre.
- Applicants from Developing countries (Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African, Republic Chad, Chile, People’s Republic of China, Colombia, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo, Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Croatia, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, The Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea, Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Indonesia, India, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Federated States of Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint- Vincent and the Grenadines, South Sudan, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia and Zimbabwe) are eligible to apply for this fellowship.
English Language Requirements: Adequate proficiency in English language is required.
How to Apply
- Candidates must apply using the online application.
- Candidates are required to arrange for the submission of three letters of recommendation by established researchers.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. Successful candidates might be offered a Shiing-Shen Chern Senior Post-Doctoral Fellowship.
- The Fellowship, named after Shiing-Chern, has especially attractive terms with a total possible tenure of 3+2 years.
Deadline: Applications close by January 7, 2018