The Albrecht Mendelssohn Bartholdy Graduate School of Law at Universität Hamburg invites applications for a PhD research programme and awards scholarships.
The research programme at the Graduate School of Law is designed specifically for graduates of both legal science and other disciplines who are keen to produce ambitious doctoral work in an excellent and interdisciplinary research environment.
PhD students write a doctoral thesis over a period of three years. The graduate school awards scholarships for this period of time. Admission to the programme without scholarships is possible. The Albrecht Mendelssohn Bartholdy Graduate School of Law offers admission to applicants who appear to have an outstanding record in earlier higher education and the skills and commitment to pursue research to the highest level, indicated by an excellent law degree or a non-legal research-orientated master degree (in particular in business sciences, political sciences or sociology).
Worth of Award
- The Albrecht Mendelssohn Bartholdy Graduate School of Law awards scholarships of € 1,050 per month towards living expenses. An addition € 100 per month is granted for research costs.
- Scholarship is granted for the full duration of the doctoral program. The continuation of your scholarship each year is subject to an annual review process based on satisfactory academic progress. Please indicate clearly in your application for admission whether or not you will be applying for a scholarship
- Students at Albrecht Mendelssohn Bartholdy Graduate School of Law do not pay tuition fees.
- All enrolled students must pay the university’s administration fee (approx. € 310 per semester). This includes a six-month ticket for public transport in the City of Hamburg
- Students with outstanding degree in law or a non-legal research-orientated master’s degree (in particular in business administration, political science, or sociology).
- Students whose first language is neither English nor German are required to prove their language proficiency by providing relevant certificates (for details see: Application documents.
Multiple factors will be taken into consideration in the admission procedure:
- Successful applications must have proven their ability to produce excellent academic performance, generally demonstrated by outstanding qualifications (cf. § 3 PromO AMBSL);
- a suitable doctoral topic which corresponds to the research areas of the Graduate School; and
- the availability of expertise among our members of statt to supervise the proposed topic.
How to Apply
- They do not consider applications on a rolling base. However, they strongly recommend to prepare the necessary documents as soon as possible because they cannot accept applications or additional documents after the end of the deadline.
- After reviewing all applications, the strongest applicants will be invited for personal interviews (approx. in March or early April).
A complete application comprises all of the following documents (and must be submitted in one pdf-file in the below-given order):
- application form
- research proposal (up to four pages; guideline for drafting a proposal)
- personal statement about why you are applying to the Albrecht Mendelssohn-Bartholdy Graduate School
- tabular curriculum vitae
- index of all publications to date (optional)
- two recommendations from professors attesting to suitability for doctoral work
- language certificates (German or English): Non-native speakers who write their dissertation in German or English must prove their language skills by submitting relevant certificates. German: TestDaF or DSH; English: certificate proving C1 Level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). This requires test scores of at least 100 in the TOEFL ibT / 6.5 in the IELTS / 945 in TOEIC. The TOEFL DI Code is 2258.
Deadline: Applications October intake close on 31st January 2018