2012/2013 PTDF Scholarship for Nigerians is now open for applications. The 2013 PTDF scholarship announcement can be found here. The deadline is October 23, 2013. The scholarship categories of sponsorship include undergraduate, master’s and PhD. The PTDF scholarship for Nigerians is awarded to excellent students to study in Nigeria and overseas. The PTDF undergraduate scholarship is only available to Nigerians studying in Nigeria; the master’s scholarship can be utilize in Nigeria and overseas; and the PhD could be split site, involving doing some part of the study in a foreign country and the rest Nigeria.
The Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) is a parastatal of the Ministry of Petroleum Resources established by Decree 25 of 1973 dedicated for the purpose of development, promotion and implementation of petroleum technology and manpower development through research and training of Nigerians as graduates, professionals, technicians and craftsmen in the fields of engineering, geology, geosciences, management, economics and relevant fields in the petroleum and solid minerals industry in Nigeria or abroad.
Only a limited number of applicants for master’s and PhD scholarships will be awarded for overseas study while the rest will be awarded to study in Nigeria in the school list below.
List of Nigerian Universities Hosting PTDF Scholars:
- African University of Science and Technology – Petroleum Engineering
- Institute of Petroleum Studies, Port Harcourt
- University of Port Harcourt- Gas Eng
- University of Ibadan- Petroleum Eng
- University of Nigeria Nsukka- Geology
- University of Benin- Chemical Engineering
- University of Jos- Mining & Geology
- University of Maiduguri – Geology
- Ahmadu Bello University – Chemical Eng
- Usman Dan Fodio University – Industrial Chemistry
- University of Uyo – Chemical & Petroleum Eng
- Bayero University Kano – Electrical Eng
A. Undergraduate (Nigeria Only)
1. Possession of 5 credits in WAEC/SSCE/NECO including English Language and Mathematics
2. Must have concluded the 1st year of their study in any of the PTDF upgraded Federal Universities listed above.
3. Must have scored a minimum CGPA of 3.0 on scale of 5 or 4.5 on a scale of 7 in their 1st Year.
4. Must scan and attach a copy of their admission letter
5. Students admitted into the University through Direct Entry i.e. 200 level must have either of the following:
i. Minimum of Upper Credit at the Diploma level
ii. Minimum of 10 points in interim Joint Matriculation Board (I.J.M.B) examination.
iii. Minimum of 8 points at the Advanced Level General Certificate of Education (G.C.E).
B. MSc (Nigeria and Overseas)
1. A minimum of Second Class Upper (2.1) in an Oil and Gas related field OR a 2.2 with oil and gas industry experience
2. National Youth Service (NYSC) certificate
3. Applicants must be computer literate
4. Possession of O/level with Credit in English Language in WAEC/SSCE (C6) or NECO (C4);
5. Applicants must not be above 30 years of age
Applicants without credit in English language as in (4) above but possess any of the following may apply
i. Test of English language as a foreign language (TOEFL)
ii. G.R.E ( Graduate Record Examination)
iii. GMAT –for Management related courses
iv. International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
1. Applicants must be in the academics teaching oil and gas related discipline;
2. Applicants must possess minimum of 2.2 on first degree and a good second degree certificate;
3. Applicants must submit a research proposal relevant to the oil and gas industry (of not more than 5 pages) to include: Topic, introduction, objective, methodology and mode of data collection;
4. Applicants must include valid admission letter;
5. Applicants must not be over 40 years of age; and;
6. Applicants must include their master’s degree project
Documents to Scan and Attach to the Application Form
Applicants are advised to scan copies of the following documents and attach to their online application forms:
- First Degree Certificate or Statement of Result
- NYSC discharge certificate
- WAEC/GCE/SSCE/NECO Results or provide PIN numbers on the application forms to enable PTDF view the results on the relevant website; and
- Recent Passport Photograph
- Local Government Identification Letter
- Master’s Degree Certificate (PhD Applicants only)
- Admission Letter (Undergraduate and PhD Applicants only)
List of Approved Courses for Sponsorship
Scholarships will be offered for admission into the under listed courses (for overseas MSc). Candidates are advised, to apply for admission into Universities in the UK and France that offer these courses, while applying for the Petroleum Technology Development Fund Scholarship.
1. Asset Management (Engineering Asset Management)
2. Basin Evolution and Dynamics
3. Diving and Underwater Technology
4. Energy Systems Engineering
5. Environmental Engineering
6. Environmental Remote Sensing
7. Fire & Explosion Engineering
8. Health Safety and Environment
9. Marine Computational Fluid Dynamics
10. Maritime Operations
11. Occupational Health and Safety
12. Offshore and Ocean Technology
13. Offshore Engineering
14. Pipeline Engineering
15. Purchasing and Supply Chain Management
16. Refinery Design and Operations
17. Subsea Engineering
18. Thermal Power (Gas Turbine Option)
19. Welding Engineering
20. Design of Rotating Machines
21. Control Systems
22. Hydraulic Engineering (France)
23. Fluid Mechanics and Energetics (France)
B. PhD Priority Research Areas
The PhD research areas in addition to the afore-listed MSc program areas may also include any of the following related areas:
1. Environmental Studies and HSE (Health, Safety and Environment).
2. Marginal Fields Development.
3. Flow Assurance and Pipeline Engineering.
4. Geology and Petroleum Geology.
5. Civil and Marine Engineering.
6. Renewable Energy.
7. Reservoir Engineering/Production Technology.
8. Refining Technology.
9. Ship Building & Marine Technology.
How to Apply
Application Forms can be accessed online using an ATM card or through purchase of a scratch card from designated major branches of First Bank of Nigeria Plc in all the States and FCT, upon payment of a NON-REFUNDABLE sum of N1,000 (One Thousand Naira Only). Instructions on how to access the form online is clearly stated on the backside of the cards.
Deadline: October 31, 2011
For more information, and to apply, click here.