The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) invites applications for a Post-Doctoral Fellow-Diagnostic Assays to support the diagnostic activities associated with the Zoolink project in Kenya. These include both the analysis of samples collected during the life of the project and the conversion of selected assays into pen-side or high-throughput formats.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
The research work will be undertaken in ILRI’s main laboratories in Nairobi and in the field laboratory in Busia, Kenya.
- To source or develop and establish at ILRI the most appropriate assays for screening of human and animal samples for the targeted zoonotic diseases.
- To supervise the performance of the assays and interpret the results
- To transfer the assays to suitable high-throughput and penside formats, and validate the performance of the new assays
- Contribute to resource mobilization and capacity building
- Interact with other members of the group
- Publish results as peer-reviewed articles
Worth of Award
- 3 years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
- ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes medical insurance, life insurance and allowances for: education, housing, home leave, and annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
- PhD in Medical, Veterinary or Biological Sciences
- Requisite and relevant publication record
- 2 to 5 years’ experience in relevant techniques in the development and performance of serological and nucleic acid–based diagnostic assays
How to Apply
- Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the role and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications.
- Work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab, above before 7 December 2017. The position title and reference number: PDDA/11/2017should be clearly marked on the subject line of the online application.
- ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
Deadline: Applications closes on 7th December 2017.