- Regularly enrolled students: Approximately 2,300,000 yen for the 1st year (apx. 1,800,000 from the 2nd year)
which includes examination fees, enrollment fees, course fees (exempted), and the monthly stipend.
* Non-regular students (research students): for details on the amount, see page 4, Appendix: Monthly Benefits.
- Monthly stipend: 100,000 yen.
- In addition to the monthly stipend, 220,000 yen (70,000 yen for research students) is paid in the month of enrollment with an additional 35,000 yen the following April and October (for details on the monthly stipend, see page 4, Appendix: Monthly Benefits) to cover the Fellowship recipient’s travel expenses (when coming to Japan
and returning to their home country at the completion of their studies) and material’s fees for texts and miscellaneous expenses.
Students are eligible to live in the University dormitory during the benefit period.
Length of the Fellowship
Fellowships are awarded for the periods below. Note that the length of the Fellowship will not be extended where students who enroll initially in a master’s course then decide to pursue further studies.
- Master’s Degree: Maximum of 2 years
- Professional Degree (Accounting and Public Policy): Maximum of 2 years
- Professional Degree (Law): Maximum of 3 years
- Doctoral Degree: Maximum of 3 years
- Doctoral Degree in Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Medicine, or Clinical Pharmacy: Maximum of 4 years
* For research students before enrolling in any of the above (1)~(5): Maximum of 6 months
- 4 Number of Fellowships
- International students.
- Applicants must be current or alumni students of universities that have concluded Inter-University Exchange Agreements and a Memorandum of Understanding on Student Exchange with Hokkaido University. Students who are already enrolled at Hokkaido University cannot apply for this scholarship. Applicants must be self-supporting,
without other scholarships or fellowships when enrolling in Hokkaido University.
- Applicants must possess a GPA that is in the top 25% of their class or an equivalent level at their home university (Applicants who possess equivalent GPA levels must be certified by the president of their home university).
Special Grant Program for International Students Participating graduate schools:
- Graduate School of Veterinary Medicine
- Graduate School of Environmental Science
- Graduate School of Chemical Sciences and Engineering
- Applicants must be applying to a doctoral course with one of the graduate school listed above. The recipient of this grant will be a student who shows potential to contribute to their field of research on an international level. These recipients have their tuition fees waved in exchange for working as a Research Assistant. This experience is highly valuable for the researcher and their research.
- The application process for this scholarship is conducted by each graduate school. Please note that not all graduate schools participate in this program – please refer to the list above.
- Please ask the Division of International Students at the Institute for International Collaboration for more details on the program.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit the below documents to the university.
- A completed Application for Hokkaido University President’s Fellowship (Form 1).
Before submitting the application, please make sure to contact your prospective advisor directly and consult with them concerning the topic and plan of your research.
- Consent letter written by your prospective supervisor (no set form).
- Official Transcripts
For a doctoral degree, both undergraduate and graduate transcripts must be submitted.
- A letter of recommendation from an advisor at your university (no set form).
- Official candidacy announcement from your university’s president to the President of Hokkaido University (no set form).
- Each affiliated University must select ONE candidate, and send the required documents to Hokkaido University within the application period.
Deadline: Applications are accepted till 12th January 2018