Cambridge University is inviting prospective graduate students to apply for the Smuts Cambridge Scholarship for the 2018/2019 academic session. The funding partner is Smuts Memorial fund.
The Smuts Memorial Fund was established after the death of Jan Christiaan Smuts, who was Prime Minister of South Africa from 1919 to 1924 and again from 1939 to 1948, and Chancellor of the University of Cambridge from 1948 to 1950. Its aim is to further the advancement of Commonwealth Studies in the University.
The Fund supports several posts and grants within the University, including the Smuts Cambridge Scholarship in association with the Cambridge Trust; the scholarship is available to PhD students whose research relates to a Commonwealth country or countries (excluding the UK), normally in the fields of Arts, Humanities or Social Sciences.
Worth of Award
- University tuition fee
- Annual stipend (sufficient for a single person)
- Maybe a citizen of any country outside the EU
- Must apply to study a PhD at the University of Cambridge and be offered admission
- Must complete Section B of the application form to indicate that s/he wishes to be considered for scholarship funding and must submit the completed application by the published deadline (normally at the start of December in the year before the start of the PhD)
- Must propose a PhD research topic that is specifically related to a Commonwealth country or countries (excluding the UK), normally in the fields of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences.
- Each scholarship will be awarded for three years and will pay the University Composition Fee and an annual stipend sufficient for a single person. The scholarships are tenable at any College within the University of Cambridge.For further information please contact either the Fund Administrator [[email protected]] or the Cambridge Trust (email: [email protected]).
How to Apply
- Applications are done online via their website. Click link below
- Apart from the application for graduate admission, no separate application is required for this scholarship.
Deadline: If you are applying for graduate study, please check and apply by the specific course deadline. Some deadlines are as early as mid-November (LLM Law) and there will be two general course deadlines of 6 December 2017 and 4 January 2018.
Click here for more details and to apply
Click here to apply for graduate study