Department of Science & Technology (DST) under Ministry of Science and Technology offers Inspire Fellowship for Doctoral Programme in Science & Technology to Indian students.
INSPIRE fellowship aims at enhancing research fellowships for doctoral studies and opening up partnerships with the private sector for topping the Government’s efforts in nurturing talents for scientific research. This scheme is applicable to Basic and Applied sciences as well as Medicine, Agriculture etc. with the provision of multiple entries.
It is the 4th Component of INSPIRE Program under Assured Opportunities in Research Career (AORC) Scheme launched by the Government of India to strengthen the National Science and Technology base. It is being implemented by the Department of Science and Technology (DST).
Fellowships are available to pursue a doctoral programme in the field of Science and Technology.
Worth of Award
- It offers financial support in the form of a Fellowship equivalent to NET/ GATE fellowship (Junior Research Fellowship / Senior Research Fellowship) and research grant to the candidate.
- There is a provision of total 1000 Final offers of INSPIRE Fellowships to be given every year to eligible students and each Fellowship is tenable for a maximum period of five years or completion of their PhD degree, whichever is earlier.
- This Fellowship shall not be available to pursue M.Sc. or M.Phil. or M. Tech. course during pursuing in any such Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D./ M. Phil.-Ph.D./ M. Tech.-Ph.D. courses. However, a continuation of the Fellowship for once selected candidates is based on satisfactory performance certified by the institution as per stipulated GOI guidelines for such Fellowship.
- There is a provision of total 1000 Final offers of INSPIRE Fellowships to be given every year to eligible students.
- Scholarship can be taken in India
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- INSPIRE Scholar having secured minimum 65% marks (or CGPA equivalent) in aggregate at M.Sc. or Integrated M.S./ M.Sc.
- 1st Rank Holder in each Post-Graduate (PG) level examinations in Basic/ Applied Sciences including Engineering Sciences, Medical Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Sciences from any recognized University and academic Institutions in India. Similarly, 1st Rank Holders at the Graduate Level Examination in Medicine only conducted by a University/ Institution in India are also eligible to apply. 1st Rank should be obtained in the minimum batch size of 10 students in that university level examination with minimum aggregate of 65% marks (or CGPA equivalent) of the entire course/ program.
These students shall also be eligible for admission to pursue full – time research, leading to PhD in any Indian University/ National Institute/ National Laboratories in India. However, Students who are i) 1st Rank Holder in College including Autonomous College Examination, ii) obtained a degree (s) through Distance Education Mode and iii) 1st Rank Holder in any specialization given at MSc 2nd last Year, are not eligible.
How to Apply
- Students need to apply through Online mode only.
- To apply On-line, please visit the website: http://www.online-inspire.gov.in and follow the process as prescribed therein (Guidelines for Filling up).
- The Online application submissions will be commenced on 28th August 2017 and will be available up to 30th September 2017.
- No Print out of Application copy needs to be sent to us.
Deadline: Fellowship application deadline is September 30, 2017.