The new UNIL Master Scholarships are available for students who have graduated from a foreign university and who possess excellent academic records. The scholarships are available to pursue Master degree programme.
Worth of Award
- Students offered a scholarship will be exempt from the fixed registration fees for the courses, with the exception of the CHF 80.00 fees to be paid each semester.
- The scholarship is awarded for the minimum period of the program chosen by the student. It amounts to CHF 1,600 per month from 15 September to 15 July (i.e. 10 months per year), for the entire duration of the master’s degree (1 year and a half or two years depending on the chosen programme), except in the case of definitive failure after the first year.
- Candidates are made aware of the fact that the amount of the scholarship awarded is not sufficient to live in Switzerland. So you would need to supplement it with some external funding
- UNIL grants ten scholarships a year.
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Obtain a foreign university degree deemed equivalent to a Bachelor of UNIL before the start of the master program at the UNIL.
- To have distinguished herself during her studies, notably by particularly brilliant academic results.
- Have a minimum level of B2 (level according to the global scale of the European Language Portfolio) in French or English depending on the language of instruction of the chosen master.
- Not already registered at UNIL.
- To have paid the administrative fee of CHF 200.- (see document “list of documents to be attached to your application file”)
- Abandonment of the program results in suspension of the scholarship.
- Foreign students are eligible to apply for these scholarships.
- Participants must prove a good knowledge of English in their motivation letter (number of years of Language classes taken, specific experience in an English-speaking environment etc.) and IELTS or TOEFL test.
However, it is not possible to apply for the following programs:
- Master from the School of Medicine
- Master of education
- Master of Law from the Universities of Zurich and Lausanne
- Master of criminal Law, magistracy specialism
- All MASs (PhD programmes)
- Please note: for the Master of Law, only two specialisms,”international and comparative law” and “legal theory” are open to applications for Masters scholarships.
Calendar of the selection process
- 1 November: application deadline
- November-December: Processing of applications by the Social Affairs and Student Mobility Office (SASME) and the Admissions department (SII)
- December-January: The SASME informs candidates whose application is incomplete or has not been accepted by the admissions department that their application for the scholarship has been unsuccessful.
- January-February: Complete applications are transferred to the faculties for consideration of their eligibility for the chosen masters degrees.
- February-March: The SASME informs candidates whose application has not been accepted by the faculty.
- March: The selection board for masters scholarships selects the candidates who will be offered a masters scholarship.
- Early April: candidates are informed of the selection board’s decision.
How to Apply
- The application form must be completed on a computer and duly signed by the candidate. To access the for, click on the link below; scroll to the page and you will find the forms.
- The application for the Masters scholarship also serves as an application for admission to your chosen masters (and therefore an application to register at UNIL).
- Candidates must send their completed application (refer to the document, “list of documents to attach to your application”), unbound, by post only to the following address:
Université de Lausanne
Service des affaires sociales et de la mobilité étudiante (SASME)
CH – 1015 Lausanne
Deadline: The deadline for applications is November 1 to start a master’s degree in the next academic year, in the autumn semester or in the spring semester if the program allows.
Click here for more details and to download application form