- PhD researchers are fully funded through an initial 3-year working contract with the MDC.
- In many cases, contracts are extended for an additional year.
- All PhD researchers are expected to complete their doctoral research and thesis in 4 years.
- Salaries are competitive with national standards and there are no tuition fees.
- Scholarship can be taken in Germany
To be eligible for the Scholarship, an applicant must meet all of the following criteria:
- Applicants are required to hold or obtain within 6 months of the interview week a university degree equivalent to a MasterDegree (?70% or German score of at least’Gut’, ?2,4) including a written research thesis.
- Applicants still studying should anticipate receiving their degree not later than 6 months after the interview date.
- Graduates having completed their degree must upload with the application package a scanned copy of the certificate as well as transcript including marked coursework from the university. Students still enrolled in their undergraduate program must upload a provisional certificate stating the examination marks already obtained.
- Applicants shall at the time of interview be in the first four years of their research careers and not yet been awarded a doctoral degree, according to the European Commission’s definition of early-stage researchers.
- Please note that candidates who have previously been invited for interviews, will not be considered for the further interview.
- MDC Master students and MDC interns who have been working or registered at the MDC during the past 2 years longer than 3 months until the PhD interview week at MDC, are not eligible to apply to the international MDC Program. Instead, they are considered internal students and may apply for internal PhD fellowship positions. Short-term interns who have been working or registered at the MDC for less than 3 months until interview week are eligible to apply to the Int. PhD program if they apply to a different research group. Short-term interns who wish to join the research group they have been affiliated before are not eligible for the Int. PhD Program and are recommended to apply for an internal PhD fellowship position.
- Citizens of all nationalities are eligible to apply.
How to Apply
- Login at the application portal
- Complete the sections education, training, motivation letter etc. All mandatory fields are marked.
- Upload all required documents.
- Add the names and addresses of 2 referees. As soon as you have entered contact details your referees will automatically receive a request for letter of recommendation. Please make sure that references arrive on time! You cannot change your referee once you have saved the contact. If there is a problem contact us in time. References arriving after the deadline will not be processed and applications will be considered incomplete.
- Don’t forget to submit your application once you have completed your sections. You don’t have to wait for your reference letters to arrive for you to submit. After submission, you won’t be able to edit the sections, but you can check the status of your letters of recommendation. We will inform you within 5 weeks of the application deadline whether you are invited for interviews to Berlin.