Worth of Award
- Awards are for three years, assuming satisfactory progress. The fellowship term is 12 months for each fellowship year.
- For fellowships awarded prior to 2017, fellows must devote 100% of their effort to the project outlined in the fellowship proposal.
- For new awards beginning in 2017 and after, fellows must devote at least 75% of their effort to the project outlined in the fellowship proposal.
- Recipients of the JDRF postdoctoral fellowship award cannot hold another postdoctoral fellowship at the same time.
- Award amounts are based on years of relevant postdoctoral experience at the time of activation. There are no indirect costs allowed for fellowships and JDRF will make no deductions for income tax, Social Security, etc.
- A research allowance of USD 5,500 is aimed at providing the fellow with funds to enrich their training experience and can be used for travel to scientific meetings (up to USD 2,000/year), journal subscriptions, books, training courses etc.
- They are not to be used for laboratory supplies or equipment. The purchase of a personal computer is allowed (up to USD 2,000) only during Year 1 of the award. Health insurance costs are permissible. The award is renewable for up to two additional years pending submission and approval of a renewal proposal and progress report.
- Please see JDRF’s Administrative Resources for awarded grants for more details about budget guidelines.
- Two fellowships are available.
- Fellowship research may be conducted at foreign and domestic, for-profit and nonprofit, and public and private organizations such as universities, colleges, hospitals, laboratories, units of state and local governments, and eligible agencies of the federal government.
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- This fellowship is intended for those at a relatively early stage of their career. Ordinarily, the most recent doctoral degree (PhD, MD, DMD, DVM, or equivalent) will have been received no more than five years before the application is submitted.
- There are no citizenship requirements for this program. To assure continued excellence and diversity among applicants and awardees, JDRF welcomes proposals from all qualified individuals and encourages proposals from persons with disabilities women and members of minority groups underrepresented in the sciences.
- Applicants of all nationalities are eligible to apply for this fellowship.
How to Apply
Access and submit full applications (including research plans) via RMS360.
Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is June 28, 2017.