- The fellowships, valued at $18,000 at the PhD level and at $14,000 at the Master’s level, are offered each year to graduate students.
- Scholarship can be taken in Canada
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Are enrolled in or plan to enrol in the Faculty of Graduate Studies at the University of Manitoba in either the masters or PhD program as full-time students (not including pre-masters or Occasional students);
- Have achieved a minimum grade point average of 3.75 in each of the last two full years of study;
- Show great promise as researchers and as graduate students; and]
- Are admitted to, or registered in, a program that is eligible for tri-council graduate student awards.
Applicants must meet all eligibility requirements.
- In addition to the above-stated Terms, applicants must have been admitted without provision or have cleared provisional admission as a master’s or PhD student into a graduate program at the University of Manitoba. Applicants must be planning to, and maintain, full-time status within their graduate program. Applicants who are enrolled as full-time students in two programs simultaneously will not be considered.
- Academic standing – Students with a minimum GPA of 3.75 (above B+) within each of the last two full years of recognised university study, based on a Bachelor, Masters, Graduate Diploma or a Doctoral degree.
- To verify academic work, students must order original transcripts from all universities attended in the past, to be sent in a sealed envelope directly from the university attended to the Education Graduate Programs & Research Office, Room 203 Education Building, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 2N2.
- Citizenship – All students regardless of citizenship are eligible to apply, provided their program is eligible for tri-council funding.
- Years of Graduate study – Students are eligible to receive the UMGF for the first 48 months of their PhD program. Total maximum UMGF support for any individual graduate student is 48 months. Note specifically that eligibility is based on the start date of the award. Therefore, for the 2017-2018 UMGF competition, students who started their PhD program in January 2014 or earlier are not eligible.
- Applicants of all nationalities are eligible to apply for this fellowship.
How to Apply
The UMGF on-line application form cannot be saved and cannot be sent electronically. You must print out a hard copy of the application form after it is completed and signed, to be submitted it to your department.
Attachments (free form)
- Use white paper 8 ½ x 11 inches (21.5 cm x 28 cm).
- Set margins at ¾ of an inch (1.9 cm) (minimum) all around.
- Enter your name at the top of every page.
- Print on one side of the paper only.
- Please follow the regulations pertaining to the number of pages allowed. Pages in excess of the number permitted will be removed.
Deadline: Fellowship application deadline is May 17, 2017.
Click here for more details and to apply