UCD is strongly committed to encouraging students with exceptional talents to develop their abilities to their full potential.
Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
Scholarships are available for pursuing the undergraduate programme in Science, Law, Business, Medicine, Nursing, Engineering, Actuarial & Financial Studies, Psychology, Physiotherapy and Veterinary Medicine.
Worth of Award
- Ad Astra scholars benefit from a scholarship, mentoring and a range of tailored supports.
- The value of the scholarship for new scholars entering the programme in September 2017 is €3,000 which can be used to offset the cost of fees, accommodation, or used as a bursary.
- If wishing to live on campus, Ad Astra scholars may avail of allocated on-campus accommodation and have their scholarship allowance applied in part payment.
In addition to this scholars receive a range of academic privileges which include:
- The support of a dedicated academic mentor
- A programme of workshops and seminars by academics, distinguished alumni and guest speakers throughout the year to develop the scholars’ academic and personal potential.
- Networking and development opportunities
- The scholarship is tenable for 4 years or for the duration of the programme, whichever is the lesser, subject to meeting the criteria for scholarship renewal each year.
- Scholarship can be taken in Ireland
Prospective Students – School Leavers
Ad Astra Academic Scholarships for September 2016 onwards will be awarded on the basis of the academic criteria of 6 H1’s in the first sitting of the Leaving Cert (or A Level equivalent), as well as an online application. The application will consist of a personal statement and a statement of achievement ‘beyond the classroom’. Achievement ‘beyond the classroom’ could include:
- Achievement in national competition such as Young Scientist, Maths Olympiad or Debating
- Evidence of active citizenship or volunteering for example through a Silver or Gold Gaisce Award
- Evidence of innovation or entrepreneurship
- Evidence of leadership in a school, club or sporting context
- Achievement in cultural, musical or artistic pursuits
- Citizens of all nationalities are eligible to apply.
How to Apply
Students must complete the UCD Ad Astra Academy – Academic Scholarship application form online.
Deadline: The application deadline is August 21, 2017.
Click here for more details and to apply