The University of London invites applications for it’s Guy S. Goodwin-Gill scholarship for students of the MA in Refugee Protection and Forced Migration Studies by distance learning who wish to begin their studies in October 2019.
The MA in Refugee Protection and Forced Migration Studies provides a rigorous theoretical and practical understanding of the field of international refugee law and forced migration.
Professor Goodwin-Gill has written extensively on refugee protection, both as an academic at Oxford, and as Legal Adviser to the Office of United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) from 1976-1988. His treatise The Refugee in International Law is a core textbook on the MA programme.
This scholarship recognises Professor Goodwin-Gill’s contribution to international refugee law and his close connection with the Refugee Law Initiative. It promotes the study of refugee protection by outstanding students who are limited by financial circumstances.
Worth of Award
- This fee-waiver award (worth £8,220) celebrates the career of the refugee law expert, Professor Goodwin-Gill, a close friend and supporter of the Refugee Law Initiative at the School of Advanced Study.
- you must still cover certain additional costs, including those not directly payable to us (such as examination centre fees), as well as any re-submission fees, transfer costs, or any other fees.
Applicants for the Guy S. Goodwin-Gill scholarship must satisfy all of the following:
- You hold an offer to study the MA Refugee Protection and Forced Migration Studies for the October intake.
- You cannot accept this offer without financial support.
- You are able to demonstrate outstanding academic merit or potential (particularly by your achievements).
- Applications are welcomed especially from candidates based in low / middle-income countries.
- Current University of London students or former applicants for this scholarship (or the Sadako Ogata award) are not eligible to apply.
How to Apply
- Download and complete the application form [Word]
- Submit with your CV to [email protected] by the deadline
- This is a separate application process to the MA programme.
- They will need to know about your relevant past achievements, professional positions held, and your financial situation. You must also provide a personal statement.
- All applications will be reviewed against the award criteria (though we cannot provide individual feedback).
- If you apply for the scholarship, please await the outcome before you complete registration for the MA programme.
Deadline: The application deadline is August 19, 2019.