Ministry of Education offers Taiwan Government Scholarships for international students to undertake Huayu courses at a registered Mandarin Language Center approved by the MOE. International students (except Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao SAR students) can apply for the scholarships.
The Ministry of Education’s key role is to communicate policies and provide a platform bringing together resources: integrating and putting to use various resources from all different sectors, and presenting forward-looking extremely practical government policies that will bring about noticeable positive changes in education.
The purpose of the scholarship is to encourage international students (Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao SAR students are not eligible) to undertake Huayu courses in the Republic of China (Taiwan); in order to provide them with opportunities to increase their understanding of Taiwanese culture and society, and to promote mutual understanding and interactions between Taiwan and the international community.
Applicants require TOEFL 550, IELTS 5.5 or they must pass university’s entrance examination.
Scholarships provide opportunities to increase applicants understanding of Taiwanese culture and society, and to promote mutual understanding and interactions between Taiwan and the international community. Scholarships are available to undertake Huayu courses at a registered Mandarin Language Center approved by the MOE.
Worth of Award
- Scholarships will include a monthly stipend of NT $25,000 (Approximately US $781.25).
- Scholarship can be taken in the Republic of China (Taiwan)
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible to apply for this scholarship:-
A. Applicants must be a United States Citizen, age 18 years or older, be a resident or a student of Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island or Vermont, possess a high school diploma or above, exhibit excellent academic performance, and be of good moral character.
- Applicants with one of the following qualifications are ineligible to apply:
- Overseas Chinese students or nationals of the Republic of China (Taiwan) (previously/currently hold a Republic of China (Taiwan) passport).
- Currently a registered student at a Mandarin Language Center or has been a degree seeking student at any university or college in Taiwan.
- Previously a recipient of HES or Taiwan Scholarship Program. d. Currently an exchange student to Taiwan, during the scholarship period.
- Currently receiving financial benefits from Taiwan government agencies or colleges and universities in Taiwan.
- International students (except Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao SAR students) can apply for the scholarships.
How to Apply
Applicant must send all completed documents to the Education Division, TECOBoston by post mail before the deadline. (Must be postmarked by the deadline.) Failure to include any of the required documents will render the application incomplete, and the applicant will not be considered for the scholarship without further notice.
Contact person: Ms. Levina Huang at wthuang-at-mail.moe.gov.tw or 617-737-2055.
Required application documents:
- Huayu Enrichment Scholarship application form (download at http://www.moebos.org. Webpage route: English>Studying in Taiwan>Huayu Enrichment Scholarship)
- A photocopy of the applicant’s passport information page(s)
- A photocopy of the certificate of the highest degree (diploma) and original transcript (sent by school registrar’s office). d. A photocopy of the admission application form sent to the Mandarin Language Center in Taiwan.
- Two letters of recommendation signed and sealed in envelopes (i.e. from principals, professors, or supervisors).
Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is March 31, 2017.
Click here for more details and to apply