Ministry of Education, Republic of China (Taiwan) offers Taiwan Scholarship Program for outstanding international students (excluding students from Mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau SAR) to undertake degree studies in Taiwan.
Worth of Award
- Tuition and payment of academic fees, including credit fee. Each recipient per semester up to NTD40, 000.
- Subsistence allowance: undergraduate studies: a monthly stipend of NTD15, 000
- Postgraduate studies: a monthly stipend of NTD20, 000
Applicants must be a foreign national with a secondary school graduation diploma or a post-secondary degree(s), and an excellent academic record, and be of good moral character.
Applicants are ineligible if they meet the following criteria:
- Republic of China (Taiwan) Nationals or overseas Chinese students (previously/currently hold a Republic of China (Taiwan) passport).
- Currently registered or have obtained student status at any university/college in Taiwan. Graduating students pursuing further studies are exempt from this rule.
- Previously studied in Taiwan for the same level of degree as the one in which they currently intend to enroll.
- Are exchange or dual/joint degree students admitted in accordance with academic cooperation agreements between Taiwan universities/colleges and Americanuniversities/colleges.
- Previously a recipient of the Taiwan Scholarship for over a total of five years.
- Previously had their Taiwan Scholarship or Huayu Enrichment Scholarship from the MOE revoked.
- Current recipients of any other scholarship or subsidy offered by Taiwan government agencies or colleges and universities in Taiwan. This excludes subsidies offered by universities/colleges to cover tuition and other fees exceeding the scholarship limit.
- Applicant must be a United States Citizen and a resident or a student of Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island or Vermont.
How to Apply
- Applicants must apply directly to the university/ college for admission within the application deadline.
- Each university/college sets its own application deadline.
- Applicants must submit the following documents within the period specified by the local Taiwan Representative Office for their country to that Office [*Note: in these Directions the term “Taiwan Representative Office” refers to the Embassy or Representative Office responsible for a particular country or region where the applicant lives. It will sometimes be located in another nearby country. Please see website for contact details of all Taiwan Representative Offices]:
- A Taiwan Scholarship Application Form (the form for applicants from each country or region is available from their local Taiwan Representative Office)
- A photocopy of the applicant’s passport or other documentary evidence of nationality.
- A photocopy of their highest academic award and of the associated academic transcripts. Applications must be in compliance with the provisions of Subparagraph 2 of Paragraph 1 of Article 7 of the MOE Regulations Regarding International Students Undertaking Studies in Taiwan. Documents in a language other than Chinese or English must be translated into Chinese or English and the translated documents must be authenticated.
- Photocopies of documentary evidence that the applicant has already applied to a university/college in Taiwan (for example, photocopies of the application fee remittance, the application form, and a notice or email from the university/college acknowledging receipt of the application.
- A photocopy of a language proficiency certificate.
Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is March 31, 2019