Scholarships will be available for International (non-EU) students. Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
Scholarships are available to pursue the undergraduate programme in all the subjects offered by the university.
Worth of Award
Scholarships worth £8,000 in tuition fee discounts over the duration of a 3-year degree scheme will be awarded.
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- All international applicants who have applied to Aberystwyth by 30th June and placed Aberystwyth as their Firm choice of University will automatically be considered for a Scholarship. In the case of direct applicants, they must have applied to and selected Aberystwyth as their Firm / first choice by 30th June
- Applicants must be classed as full-time overseas students for fee paying purposes. The Scholarships are available to self-financing students only. This includes students using overseas government loans to fund their studies.
- Applicants must be undertaking a full degree at Aberystwyth University and must be applying to study a full degree (not gaining entry to years 2 or 3 of a course).
- Applicants may not previously have been degree students at any university for a period of more than 1 year.
- Awards will be determined by the International Scholarships Committee, whose decision is final and not open to appeal. The Committee will not directly correspond with applicants before or after the application has been made. Applicants or their families who attempt to lobby a committee member will be ineligible for the scholarships administered under the Aberystwyth Scholarships Fund. Aberystwyth University reserves the right to not award scholarshipswhereno suitable candidates are identified.
- Applicants awarded scholarships will be informed by email from the Communications,Marketingand Public Affairs Office on behalf of the International Scholarships Committee. Details of the award will be provided in a document enclosed in the email. All official arrangements will be made to the applicant directly. The deadline for accepting the scholarship will be within 2 weeks of notification.
- All international candidates are required to demonstrate the ability to fund their studies including their living expenses in accordance with the University’s obligations under our Tier 4 license and Border Office regulations. Scholarships will be awarded subject to the University receiving all necessary documentation to complete the application to study e.g. passport photos, copies of results, confirmation of English language ability, photocopy of passport, financial declaration form, deposit, by 31 August.
- Scholarships take the form of a discount on tuition fees. These scholarships are not available as a cash alternative. Where the applicant arranges to pay fees by installment the scholarship will be deducted from the final installment. Where the candidate arranges to pay their tuition fees in full in advance, they will receive the scholarship deduction immediately and the tuition fee will be adjusted accordingly.
- These scholarships may not be combined with most other Aberystwyth University awards, scholarships or bursaries, but they may be combined with the Early Payment Discount and the Aberystwyth International Scholarships.
- The continuation of all scholarships is based on satisfactory academic performance, as defined by normal progression from one year to the next (please refer to our Examination Conventions for further details). A scholarship may be withdrawn on the grounds of failure to comply with any of the conditions of the award which has been made. The candidate may be required to repay the University any award which has been made, in whole or in part, as determined by the Committee. If the scholar feels that such a withdrawal is unjustified s/he may appeal in writing to the Head of the International Office within 15 days of the date of notification.
- Students undertaking a 4 year course which includes a year in employment, year in industry, year abroad etc. don’t receive the discount for the 3rd year of their course.
- Where an International student holding an Aberystwyth International Scholarship Fund award is excluded from the University, and as a result, the University withdraws its Tier 4 sponsorship of that student, the scholarship will be withdrawn.
- Scholarships will be allocated in the year which they are applied and awarded for. In the event of candidates deferring the year of entry, the scholarship can also be deferred. If it is deemed necessary for the Scholarship holder to suspend their studies, the scholarship will be held on University account and carried forward to the year of resumption of studies and the candidate will be expected to pay their contribution on a pro-rata basis.
- During and after the period of study the candidate may be asked to participate in promotional activities for the University. This may include receptions and social events, testimonial or publicity articles or even assisting with activities in their home country.
- Any Agent commission will be based on the net fee paid by the student.
- Scholarships are awarded on the understanding that applicants intend to return to their home countries after completion of the course.
- For 2017 entry, Scholarships are available to applicants normally resident in the following countries: Brazil, Canada, China, Hong Kong, India, Malaysia, Nigeria, Norway, Sri Lanka, USA and Vietnam. As well as a number of scholarships available to well-qualified applicants from outside of the UK/EU.
How to Apply
Scholarships will be awarded subject to the University receiving all necessary documentation to complete the application to study e.g. passport photos, copies of results, confirmation of English language ability, photocopy of passport, financial declaration form, deposit, by 31 August.
Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is June 30, 2017.