The fellowship programme is for female students from Sub-Saharan Africa or Least Developed Countries (LDCs) who wish to pursue postgraduate training leading to a doctorate degree at a centre of excellence in the South outside their own country.
The general purpose of the scheme is to contribute to the emergence of a new generation of women leaders in science and technology, and to promote their effective participation in the scientific and technological development of their countries.
With funds generously provided by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), OWSD has instituted a fellowship programme for female students from Sub-Saharan Africa and Least Developed Countries (LDCs), who wish to pursue postgraduate training leading to a Ph.D, at centres of excellence in the South (developing countries), outside their own country.
- Only women scientists from Sub-Saharan Africa and/or one of the Least Developed Countries can apply.
- Host institutions must be located in a developing country.
- The fellowships are open to qualified young women science graduates (generally below 40 years of age) from countries in Sub-Saharan Africa and/or LDCs.
- The minimum qualification of applicants is an M.Sc. degree (or equivalent), or an outstanding B.Sc. honours degree, in the natural sciences.
- applications can now be accepted from female scientists in all branches of the natural sciences.
- Applications that are incomplete or illegible cannot be considered. Please make sure all the requested enclosures are submitted together with your application.
**Applicants already on site in the host country will not be considered eligible.
How to Apply
Applicants should select renowned institutes in developing countries, from outside their own country, and are encouraged to apply for postgraduate admission in advance. To this purpose, it is recommended that applicants contact the chosen host institute(s) with the CV and short research proposal, mentioning that they are intending to apply for a OWSD fellowship. When submitting the application to OWSD, however, it is not obligatory that the applicant has either applied and/or obtained admission at the host institute.
The applicant must be willing to return to her own country after completion of the fellowship.
Deadline: 31 July 2012
For more information, and to apply, click here.