There are various types of student visas for students wishing to study in Australia. These visas allow you to do various things while studying.
The student visa (subclass 500) allows you to stay in Australia to study full-time in a recognised educational institution.


You must have:

  • applied for and been accepted to study in a registered full-time course at an educational institution in Australia
  • organised appropriate welfare arrangements for the duration of your intended stay in Australia if you are under 18 years of age.
  • You can study a registered full-time course in Australia.
  • Eligible family members can accompany you to Australia.


Before you apply for this visa, you must have:

  • been accepted to study full-time at an educational institution in Australia
  • organised appropriate welfare arrangements for the duration of your intended stay in Australia if you are under 18 years of age.
  • With limited exceptions, you must be enrolled in a course of study that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for Overseas for Overseas Students (CRICOS).If you are applying from outside Australia, you must include a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for each intended course of study with your visa application. A letter of offer from your education provider will not be accepted.
    You do not need to provide a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) if you are:

    • sponsored by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade – provide a letter of support
    • sponsored by the Australian Department of Defence – provide a letter of support
    • a secondary exchange student – provide an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Student (AASES) form
    • a postgraduate research student required to remain in Australia for marking of your thesis – provide a letter from your education provider.

    If you are in Australia, you can apply with a letter of offer or a CoE but you must obtain a CoE to be granted the visa.

How long this visa lasts

  • This visa allows you to stay in Australia for the duration of your course.
  • If you’re staying longer than 10 months and finishing at the end of the Australian academic year (November – December), your visa will usually be granted to March 15 of the following year.
  • Longer than 10 months (finishing January – October), Your visa will usually be granted for two months longer than the duration of your course.
  • 10 months or less, Your visa will usually be granted for one month longer than the duration of your course.


  • The cost of visas changes from time to time. The cost of your visa is dependent on the date they receive your application. If there is a price increase between the date you lodge your application and the date they receive your application, you will need to pay the new application charge.
  • The visa application charge is the amount of money in Australian dollars (AUD) that must be paid for a visa application. In some cases the visa application charge is nil.
  • You might have to pay other costs, such as the costs of health assessments, police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. You are responsible for making the necessary arrangements.

Documentation Checklist Tool

  • This tool provides an indication of the evidence you will need to submit with your application. We might ask you for additional evidence.
  • If you intend to package courses, you must select the education provider offering the principal (final) course.
  • If you haven’t decided on your education provider, you can leave the field blank or select ‘My provider is not listed’
  • Evidentiary requirements indicated by the tool show the documents you need to provide with your student visa application. In addition to these, your education provider might have their own enrolment requirements.

Please note that it could take up to a month for an education provider to appear in the Document Checklist Tool from the date of that provider’s registration with CRICOS. A full list of education providers is set out in the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students. If your education provider is registered but not yet showing on the Document Checklist Tool, please select the ‘my education provider is not listed’ option.

How to Apply

  • You must apply for this visa online.
  • You can apply when you are in or outside Australia.
  • After you have gathered and scanned the documents that support your application, create an account and apply for your student visa with the online application system – ImmiAccount.

If you do not provide the documents requested, your visa application could be refused.

  • Non-English documents must be translated into English. If you are in Australia, your translator must be accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters. If you are outside Australia, contact the Australian mission in the country that issued the documents for a translator.
  • Scan all documents – both non-English documents and translated documents.
  • Attach scanned copies to your online application when asked.
  • Provide certified copies of your documents.
  • Submit all documents with your application or your application could be refused or a decision on your visa could be delayed


You must pay the application fee when you apply or your application will not be valid.
After applying,

  • After you have applied, any additional documentation you need to submit should be uploaded into ImmiAccount. If you provide your documents through any other channel, it will result in processing delays.
  • You can be in or outside Australia when a decision is made on your application.
  • If you apply for this visa from outside Australia, do not make arrangements to travel to Australia or leave your job until you have received notification from us, in writing, that you have been granted a visa.

A Transaction Reference Number (TRN) is a unique number assigned to each online application. You will need this to:

  • track and manage your application
  • identify your application when you communicate with us
  • check your visa entitlements.

You will need to login to your ImmiAccount. You can use your account to:

  • continue a saved application
  • attach documents
  • update passport details
  • change email and address details
  • check progress of your application.

Other things you might need to do

After you apply, they might ask you to:

  • attend an interview
  • provide additional information
  • provide biometric information
  • provide police certificates.

Click here to estimate your visa cost
Click here for more details
Click here to open your ImmiAccount

Subscribe to our newsletter!
Clicking "Subscribe me" is successful, even if you don't see any confirmation here