Institute of Science and Technology Austria is offering fully-funded PhD positions for September 2017intake. ISTScholar PhD program will be awarded in the natural and mathematical sciences in a world-class research environment on the outskirts of Vienna.
The goal of the ISTScholar PhD program is to produce intellectually broad, curious, open-minded scientists who are able to approach problems from different angles and can collaborate with diverse types of scientists.
The Institute of Science and Technology Austria (IST Austria) is a young international institution in Klosterneuburg near Vienna that the basic scientific research and postgraduate training is dedicated to.
The candidate should have a very good command over English language.
Scholarships are available for ISTScholar PhD program in the field of natural and mathematical sciences.
Worth of Award
All ISTFELLOW recipients will be offered full-time employment contracts at IST Austria and will receive an internationally competitive salary with full social security coverage. In addition, the program will provide:
- Travel allowance to scientific conferences and workshops
- Support for study visits
- Mobility allowance
- Additional family allowance, if applicable
- Housing, a guest house and four apartment buildings are available on the IST campus. Depending upon availability, a room in the guest house or an apartment can be rented for a period of up to one year after arrival, giving incoming postdocs time to find suitable accommodation for the following years.
- IST offers German-language courses on campus.
- Highly qualified students from all disciplines of the natural sciences, mathematics, computer sciences, and any related interdisciplinary areas, who are committed to pursuing their scientific career in an international research environment, are invited to apply.
- All applicants must hold a master’s or bachelor’s degree (or equivalent), or anticipate the completion of the degree before September 2017. Participating students are expected to be proficient in written and oral English.
- IST Austria is committed to equality and diversity. In particular, female applicants are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted using our online application form. In addition to the application for the scholarship, the applicant must submit the following documents:-
- Step 1: Create an account
Register online by entering name and e-mail address using the link above. Applicant will immediately receive an e-mail with the link to their user account.
- Step 2: Confirm registration
- Step 3: Recommendation letters: Enter the names and e-mail addresses of 3 referees who have taught or collaborated with them or followed or supervised their work and are therefore able to evaluate their academic and research performance. They will receive an e-mail directly from us with the subject “IST Austria – Request for Letter of Recommendation” with a link to an online platform. Before submitting their referees’ details, please make sure that they are willing and available to provide their recommendation within the respective deadline. Keep in mind that their recommenders need time to write and submit the letters.
-Please note that they will not be allowed to upload scanned letters of recommendation themself. All letters of recommendation must be submitted by their referees via this platform.
Please also note that we are unable to process their application without letters of recommendation. These letters are an integral part of their application, and it is their responsibility to ensure that all letters of reference are submitted by the respective deadline.
- Step 4: Application form: In this step they will need to submit a resume/CV, university transcripts, a research statement, and an ethics table. Institute recommend that they compose their CV and research statement using a word processor, and then “cut and paste” them into the application. Institute will also be able to upload the documents in PDF format.
Make sure that they fill in all fields (resume, research statement). If they would like to upload documents in the next step, please make sure that applicant tick the appropriate box. Once they have moved on to the next step, they will not be able to return and make changes.
In their resume/CV, include their educational history since high school, relevant work experience, additional qualifications, list of publications (if any), scholarships, awards, etc.
The research statement is a 2- to 3-page essay outlining and motivating the planned research, its goals and general significance. They do not need to give specific timelines and milestones, however. IST Austria is an Institute for basic research and its scientists are free to adjust their research plan in whatever direction they deem most promising.
IST professors or assistant professors will confirm whether or not the planned research can be carried out with the resources and facilities available at the Institute.
An ethics check table needs to be filled in by each applicant. If the applicant answered YES to one of the questions on the checklist, s/he shall briefly describe the ethical aspects of the proposed research project.
Upload PDF copies of their university transcripts and diploma certificates. All applicants must hold a PhD or equivalent or anticipate the completion of the degree before the respective start date. If their current course of study is still on-going, please provide the latest transcript and state when they expect to receive their degree.
In this step, they will also be able to upload additional supporting documents such as publications, TOEFL/IELTS and GRE scores. As the official language of the Institute is English, these documents are helpful, but not mandatory. The IST Austria TOEFL code is 6384.
- Step 6: Submit their application:The deadline for submission are the 15th of September and the 15th of March, 24:00 CET. Once they have submitted their application, they will not be able to make changes. At this stage, they will be able to track the status of the letters of reference, and, if need be, are able to send out reminder e-mails.
Deadline: The application deadline is January 8, 2017.