African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) is now accepting applications for its 2017-18 academic year. African nationals from Sub-Saharan countries (excluding South African nationals) are eligible to apply for these scholarships.
AIMS’ curriculum focuses on advanced, broadly applicable mathematical skills relevant to Africa’s development needs.
African Institute for Mathematical Sciences mission is to enable Africa’s brightest students to flourish as independent thinkers, problem solvers and innovators capable of propelling Africa’s future scientific, educational and economic self-sufficiency.
Scholarships are available for pursuing PhD program in Mathematical Sciences. Research fields considered include (mathematical sciences, statistics, computational and applied maths, physics, cosmology, computer science, bio-informatics).
Worth of Award
Funds awarded the scholarship must be used towards covering the costs of tuition fees, living expenses, medical insurance, books, stationery, research literature expenses, study permit and research.
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for scholarship:
- African nationals from Sub-Saharan countries (excluding South African nationals), and not older than 36 years of age on the date of nomination may apply.
- Women are particularly encouraged to submit an application.
- African nationals from Sub-Saharan countries (excluding South African nationals) are eligible to apply for these scholarships.
How to Apply
The application form and supporting documents listed below must be submitted via the online portal. Students need to register first before submitting an application. Instructions for registration.
- Curriculum Vitae (Europass format)
- Letter of motivation
- Recommendation by your head of department
- Certified copies of all university degree certificate including transcripts
- At least temporary admission letter indicating the fees structure of the required university
- Declaration of acceptance from academic supervisor (original only)
- Detailed and precise description of the research proposal with detailed working plan and time schedule until graduation.
Deadline: The new online portal for applications is now open and applications and will close on November 30, 2016.