The University of Manchester invites applications for the Equity and Merit Scholarships for International Masters Students in the UK for the 2021/22 academic session.
Equity and Merit Scholarships are for academically excellent students who have the potential to make a significant contribution to sustainable development in their home countries. The awards are intended for those who couldn’t afford to study in Manchester without a scholarship as UoM is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and all applications are considered on their merit. It particularly encourages women to apply.
Worth of Award
UoM offers two types of scholarships:
- Full-time, on-campus master’s (one-year duration)
- Part-time, distance learning master’s (three to five years’ duration)
- The scholarships cover full tuition fees, and for students who will be studying in Manchester, the award includes return international airfares, living expenses, and visas.
The master’s scholarships are aimed at talented applicants, especially from disadvantaged backgrounds. To apply for a scholarship, you must:
- be a resident citizen of Ethiopia, Malawi, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, or Zimbabwe, and have not previously studied outside Africa (training of six months or less does not count);
- have at least two years of professional experience related to your chosen field of study (this does not include unpaid internships or voluntary work);
- a bachelor’s degree (you must have graduated before September 2020) with an overall excellent grade. The awards are for academically outstanding students and typically this means that you are in the top 10% of your class;
- be committed to returning home and able to demonstrate the potential to make a positive impact on the future of your home country;
- have a clear idea of how studying with Manchester will benefit both your career and the wider community.
All applicants will need to demonstrate competency in the English language. You will need one of the following to be eligible for the scholarship:
- English grade of 4 in Uganda Certificate of Education
- English grade of C in Tanzanian Certificate of Secondary Education
- English grade of C in Zimbabwe General Certificate of Education
- English grade of 6 in Malawi School Certificate of Education
- IELTS Academic
- TOEFL iBT
How to Apply
To apply you will need:
- degree certificates and transcripts showing subjects taken and grades achieved;
- evidence of your English language ability as stated above;
- two up-to-date signed references. It is mandatory to have at least one academic reference to help us determine your ability to complete a master’s at the University of Manchester. References must be on letter-headed paper and addressed to ‘Equity and Merit Scholarships at The University of Manchester. They do not need to be sent confidentially and there is no fixed format.
Deadline: Applications are open from August 1-31, 2021.