DAAD offers University Summer Courses for foreign students and graduates to run for at least 18 teaching days (max. 5 days/week, excluding days of arrival and departure) with a minimum of 25 hours of teaching a week.
This scholarship programme aims to help students and graduates improve their knowledge of German (general language, special language) and their cultural knowledge of the country.
The DAAD supports over 100,000 German and international students und researchers around the globe each year – making it the world’s largest funding organisation of its kind.
Scholarships are open to students enrolled in bachelor’s and master’s degree programme for pursuing summer language courses.
Worth of Award
- One-off scholarship payment of 850 euros; participants from the countries defined by the “OECD-DAC-List” (Least Developed Countries) receive a scholarship of 1,025 euros.
- Payment of a country-specific travel allowance (exception: Western Europe), see: travel allowance)
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- Please note: Course fees and accommodation expenses are usually deducted directly from scholarship payments by the language course provider so that the grant holder is possibly paid only the difference to the full amount of the scholarship by the course provider.
- Applications are open to students in Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programmes in any subject area.
- Bachelor students must have completed at least two academic years at the start of the scholarship period.
- Neither graduates holding a Master’s degree nor PhD students are eligible for this programme.
- Students of Afghanistan, Côte d’Ivoire, Albania, Anguilla, Angola, Ghana, Algeria, Antigua, Barbuda, Bangladesh, Kenya, Armenia, Argentina, Benin, Korea, Dem. Rep., Azerbaijan, Barbados, Bhutan, Kyrgyz Rep., Bolivia, Belarus, Burkina Faso, Nigeria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Belize, Burundi, Pakistan, Cameroon, Botswana, Cambodia, Papua New Guinea, Cape Verde, Brazil, Central African Rep., Tajikistan, China, Chile, Chad, Uzbekistan, Colombia, Cook Islands, Comoros, Vietnam, Congo, Rep., Costa Rica, Congo Dem. Rep., Zimbabwe, Dominican Republic, Croatia, Djibouti, Ecuador, Cuba, Equatorial Guinea, Egypt, Dominica, Eritrea, El Salvador, Fiji, Ethiopia, Former Yugoslav, Republic of Macedonia,Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guatemala, Jamaica, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Kazakhstan, Haiti, Honduras, Lebanon, Kiribati, India, Libya, Laos, Indonesia, Malaysia, Lesotho, Iran, Mauritius, Liberia, Iraq, Mayotte, Madagascar, Jordan, Mexico, Malawi, Kosovo, Montenegro, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Montserrat, Mali, Micronesia, Federated States Nauru, Mauritania, Moldova, Oman, Mozambique, Mongolia, Palau, Myanmar, Morocco, Panama, Nepal, Namibia, Serbia, Niger, Nicaragua, Seychelles, Rwanda, Niue, South Africa, Samoa, Palestinian Administered Areas, St. Helena São Tomé and Príncipe, Paraguay, St. Kitts-Nevis Senegal, Peru, St. Lucia, Sierra Leone, Philippines, St. Vincent and Grenadines, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Somalia, Swaziland, Trinidad and Tobago, Sudan, Syria, Turkey, Tanzania, Thailand, Uruguay, Timor-Leste, Tokelau, Venezuela, Togo, Tonga, Tuvalu, Tunisia, Uganda, Turkmenistan, Vanuatu, Ukraine, Yemen, Wallis and Futuna and Zambia cab apply for can apply for this scholarship programme.
- Applicants must be able to follow lectures in German and collaborate in teams.
- Proof of German language skills must be provided with the application.
- The language certificate for the required minimum language should be no more than one-year-old. Language certificates from B2 or TDN4 in all examined sections may be older than one year.
- The following language certificates can be accepted: onDaF, TestDaF, GI-Nachweis, DSD, DSH, telc Deutsch, ÖSD.
- In principle, applicants must provide proof of a minimum language level of A2.
How to Apply
- Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD Portal:
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form (in German)
- Letter of motivation (in German)
- Copy of university degree certificate with final grade(s), if available (with German or English translation)
- Proof of credits of the last two years (in German or in English)
- Language certificates
- To be submitted by post
- The “Application summary”, which is generated in the portal in PDF format and which can be printed out after the online application procedure is completed; please send 1 copy/copies to the application address
- A recent reference from a university teacher which provides information about your qualifications; please enclose one copy of the reference in a sealed envelope with each copy of your application. Please regard the instructions given on the tab “Submitting an application“.
Deadline: The application deadline is 1st December each year.