Mandela Magdalene College at the University of Cambridge offers scholarships for South African students available to pursue one-year taught postgraduate courses of study in subjects relevant to the needs of South Africa.
The scheme aims to support South African graduate students of outstanding academic merit and leadership potential who would otherwise be unable to take up a place at Cambridge University.
The College of St Mary Magdalene is located in the centre of Cambridge beside the bridge on the River Cam, from which the city takes its name. Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
Scholarship is available to pursue one-year taught postgraduate courses of study at the University of Cambridge in subjects relevant to the needs of South Africa.
Worth of Award
The scholarships are means tested. The maximum award covers:
- University Composition Fee at the overseas rate
- A maintenance allowance sufficient for a single student
Rented accommodation in or near College will normally be made available to a single Scholar. The college does not currently have any family accommodation available.
The scholarships are open to citizens of South Africa, normally under the age of 35 and normally resident in South Africa who have, or expect to obtain before 1 October 2017, a first class or high second class honours degree or its equivalent from a recognised University. The scholarship will be tenable from 1 October 2017. Successful applicants will be expected to return to South Africa to work or study after completing the course at Cambridge.
How to Apply
- This scheme is administered on behalf of the University of Cambridge and Magdalene College by the Board of Graduate Studies (for admission to the University) and the Cambridge Trusts (for funding).
- Further information, and application materials, are available in the University’s Graduate Studies Prospectus.
- All applicants for admission to the University must complete and return a GRADSAF form to the Board of Graduate Studies; applications must be completed by 7 December 2016.
Deadline: The deadline for application is 7 December 2016.
Click here for more details and to apply