MasterCard Foundation offers scholarships for Sub-Saharan African students at the University of Cape Town (UCT). Up to 42 scholarships (13 undergraduate and 29 Masters) are available for students who intend to commence with their first year of registration for full-time undergraduate and masters study.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is a 10-year global initiative to educate and develop the next generation leaders who will contribute to social and economic progress, particularly in Africa.
The medium of instruction and examination at UCT is English. International applicants for whom English is a second language have to pass specific language tests.
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing an undergraduate and postgraduate programme at the University of Cape Town (UCT).
Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in the fields of Commerce, Engineering and Built Environment, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law or Sciences at the University of Cape Town.
Worth of Award
The scholarships are considered to be full-cost and will include full cover for the following:
- Visa costs
- Transport costs to and from South Africa
- Full tuition and international student fees
- Full accommodation, subsistence and living expenses
- Research costs as approved or recommended by UCT and the Foundation
- Access to internship opportunities and cover of related costs
- Medical aid
In order to be considered for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town, applicants must be:
- Academically talented, must value learning and be driven to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantaged and facing significant financial barriers to accessing education.
- Committed to giving back to their own communities once studies are completed, to return to their home countries and take a leadership role in promoting social and economic improvement.
- Future leaders committed to embracing ethical leadership to improve the lives of others.
- Commitment to community service through previous and/or past engagements with community outreach activities
- Citizens and residents of a Sub-Saharan African country.
- Wanting to study at undergraduate or postgraduate level (Masters by research and coursework or research Masters, only). Honours applicants will be considered from 2016.
- Applying to study in the fields of Commerce, Engineering and Built Environment, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law or Sciences at the University of Cape Town.
- All prospective Scholars must first be admitted to the University of Cape Town to be considered for the Scholarship. Although each academic department has its own criteria, a minimum of 60% for the Honours, or equivalent degree is the overall academic criterion required for entry into the Masters’ degree.
- Preference will be given to ‘first-generation’ students, i.e. those who are the first ones in their families to go to university.
How to Apply
In order to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program, applicants must first apply to the UCT for academic study and placement. At the point of selection, the applicant should have a conditional/firm offer from the University of Cape Town. The following required supporting documents must be attached/uploaded to the undergraduate scholarship application form:
- Certified copy of Identity Document, Passport or Refugee Papers
- Applicant’s Curriculum Vitae (CV) of no more than two (2) A4 pages using the following points as context:
-Participation in Extra-Curricular Activities
-Skills and Interests
-Academic and/or Professional Experience
- Certified copies of all Secondary education transcripts
- Applicants will be required to produce translated copies of all academic transcripts where English is not the primary language
- 2 Academic Referee Reports
- Academic referee reports must be presented in the English language
- Referees may attach additional pages or documentation in support of the recommendation on the official institutional letterhead with original signature, stamp and date in support of the applicant
- Applicants’ are required to submit an essay of no more than 2000 words using the following points as context:
-In which ways do you envisage contributing to the economic growth and social development of your country and Africa on completion of your studies, using your education as leverage?
-Explain any community service activities you have been involved in.
-List the qualities that, for you, define leadership and elaborate on leadership initiatives that you have undertaken.
Deadline: The application deadline is 30 September 2016.