PIVOT East is currently accepting applications for the 2019 prestigious startup competitions and conferences through its PIVOT East Startups Community Network.
PIVOT East is organised by iHub. The competition aims to catalyse the growth of East Africa startups, so as to amplify and consolidate the gains of East Africa’s entrepreneurship ecosystem. The key objective for this year’s event is to ensure that we provide maximum opportunities for all stakeholders to engage before, during and after the competition. It is only through this open engagement that we can surface learnings, which will go into ensuring a more robust ecosystem.
Applications to compete in 2019 will be entered as detailed startup profiles which describe the customer pain, the solution, revenue streams, team composition and commitment, market traction, projections and milestones among other aspects. The overall startup profile will be used by the competition judges who will be experienced entrepreneurs, investors, startup enablers and business coaches to score the potential of the startup to become a sustainable high growth enterprise.
Worth of Award
The finalists will receive training and coaching on how to pitch to potential partners, customers and investors, sales, digital marketing, legal and employee retention.
- Participating startups must be domiciled in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Ethiopia, South Sudan and Somalia.
- Entries to the competition will be considered to be startups as per the universal definition of a “startup”* or a startup company (*as done below)
- Participants must fill the co-founder’s details, startup profile and startup details.
- Participating startups must also indicate details of at least two members of their team in their application profile
- Companies that reached final 25 lists of previous PIVOT East competition cannot compete with products/services previously submitted for the competition, the judging panel will have the discretion to disqualify entries in breach of this requirement.
- Competitors selected to the final 25 must have set up a legal entity (business name, limited company etc) for their business by the time the call for application closes.
- Competitors with legal entities already set up will have an added advantage at all judging stages.Decisions of the judging committees at all competition stages will be final.
How to Apply
Make sure you have a venture profile published on the VC4Africa platform
Startups that meet the eligibility criteria may enter their application into the competition through the following steps :-
- Go to VC4Africa platform (vc4a.com) and set up your startup profile
- Curate your Startup profile according to given profile headings
- Ensure that you upload a short (max 5 mins) video of the founders expressing the mission and strength of their startups on the VC4Africa profile.
- Applicants are advised to use all components available under the profiles section to best describe their strengths and potential for growth.
- Startups from across the region that meet the requirement can start applying for the competition.
Deadline: The deadline for submission of applications is on April 13, 2019. Applicants are encouraged to start building and curating their startup profiles early as they might need to research or source some of the information required widely.