The Bank of Tanzania (BOT) invites applications for the Mwalimu Julius Nyerere Memorial Scholarships for Tanzanian Students available for pursuing undergraduate and master’s programme in accredited universities in the United Republic of Tanzania.
The primary objective of the Fund is to promote interest and excellence in Mathematics and Science courses among female students in the United Republic of Tanzania. The Bank of Tanzania (Swahili: Benki Kuu ya Tanzania) is the central bank of the United Republic of Tanzania. It is responsible for issuing the national currency, the Tanzanian shilling.
The Fund provides Scholarships to six students annually as follows: –
- Two scholarships to best female Tanzanian students to pursue undergraduate studies in
Mathematics and Science in Tanzania’s accredited universities;
- One scholarship to a male to student and one scholarship to a female student who are
Tanzanians best performers to pursue undergraduate studies in Economics, Information
Technology, Accounting and Finance; and
- Two scholarships to students intending to pursue Master’s programmes in Economics,
Information Technology, Accounting, Mathematics and Finance.
The Scholarships are granted on academic merit and based on a rigorous selection process
Worth of Award
Successful applicants are granted full scholarship which covers all university direct cost for tuition fees and student direct costs (meal, accommodation, book and stationery allowance, field practical training, special faculty requirement) as specified in the respective institutions’ costs structure as well as one laptop computer.
The scholarships are awarded as follows:
Undergraduate Degree Programmes (4 Scholarships)
The Undergraduate Scholarships are granted to top performers in Advanced Certificate of
Secondary Education Examinations (ACSEE) to pursue Undergraduate degree programmes in two categories:
- Category A: Science and Mathematics Studies
(Female Students only)
- Category B: Information Technology, Economics, Accounting and Finance Studies
(Male and Female Students)
- The Fund will obtain the list of the 2019 ACSEE top ten (10) students from the National
Examinations Council of Tanzania (NECTA) and the said Scholarship will be granted to qualified candidates.
Master’s Degree Programmes (2 Scholarships)
The Scholarships are open to both female and male best students who are to enrol in Master’s degree programmes in the fields of Mathematics, Science, Economics, Information Technology, Accounting and Finance.
- Applicant must be a Tanzanian citizen.
- Applicant must have obtained First Class or an Upper Second Class (honours) in the
Bachelor degree with a minimum GPA of 4.0 from an accredited university within the
United Republic of Tanzania.
- Applicant must not be more than thirty-five years of age and should have completed
Bachelor’s degree in studies related to Mathematics, Science, Economics, Information
Technology, Accounting or Finance.
- Applicant must have applied/be admitted to a full time Master’s degree programme in
an accredited university within the United Republic of Tanzania. The programme should
commence in 2019/2020 academic year in any of the following fields: Mathematics,
Science, Economics, Information Technology, Accounting or Finance.
How to Apply
- Applicants are required to complete Scholarship Application Forms which can be accessed on the BOT website
- Printed forms can be obtained from the Fund Administrator, Bank of Tanzania Head Office, 2 Mirambo Street, 11884, DAR ES SALAAM. The forms can also be obtained at the Bank of
Tanzania Branch Offices (Arusha, Zanzibar, Mwanza, Mbeya, Dodoma, Mtwara and the Bank of Tanzania Training Institute, Mwanza).
- All application forms should be completed and submitted to the Chairperson, Mwalimu Julius Nyerere Memorial Scholarship Fund, Bank of Tanzania Head Office, 2 Mirambo Street, 11884, DAR ES SALAAM
Deadline: The application deadline is August 23, 2019(16:00hr).