The Rivers State Sustainable Development Agency, RSSDA, invites applications for the local and overseas scholarship designed to address the manpower needs of the State within the shortest time frame by providing a window of opportunity for potential and bonafide youths to acquire education both locally and overseas as a means of building capacities. The Agency has the following Schemes and Programs in place to meet this directive:
a) Overseas Scholarship Program:
• Post Graduate Schemes
b) Local Scholarship Program
• Greater Horizon & Opportunities Programme – GHOP (Secondary School Scholarship)
• Skills Acquisition (Oil and Gas Training)
• Training in Local Universities
Role of State Government (RSSDA)
- Obtaining e-passport through the Nigeria Immigration Service
- Securing admissions for the students in reputable and top universities in the countries selected for the programme
- Obtaining student visa and study permits from the respective embassies
- Preparing the students both mentally and psychologically for sojourn in a foreign land through orientation workshops and programmes
- Payment for their tuition fee, accommodation and providing stipends for their general upkeep in those countries
- Appointing mentors and guardians for the student to supervise and be there for them as they settle down.
Countries of Study and Preferred Courses:
Canada: Engineering; Physical, Natural Sciences, Economics
UK/Ireland: Medicine and Medicine related courses, Engineering and Law
India and Singapore: ICT and Computer related courses
How it Works
- Application forms are despatched to all LGAs headquarters and candidates advised to even make photocopies of the forms for use
- Desk appraisal and short-listing of applicants for the Aptitude Test
- Aptitude Test is conducted by an independent body for fairness; accountability and removal of bias
- Writing of the aptitude test and publication of result and invitation for oral interview.
Pitfalls to Avoid
- Don’t be late The test is conducted for over 10,000 candidates and timeliness is very essential. Candidates are grouped and given test timetable. Test lasts for 30 minutes for each batch. Fifty (50) questions to be answered in 30 minutes. Examination starts by about 9am and last till about 5pm. Those that even reported late are given opportunity to write the test at the end of the exercise
- Read and follow instructions.
- Poor preparation for the examination
- List of successful applicants in each LGA is placed at the LGA headquarters. Reason: Applicants to confirm their performance and for the Communities to confirm if the candidates are from their LGAs. Successful candidates are sent text messages notifying and inviting them for the Oral
- A panel of erudite and responsible scholars is constituted to conduct the interview. The papers of the candidates are screened for genuineness etc and they are asked simple questions on why they chose the course of interest etc.
- Minimum of 5 credits including English Language and Mathematics in the WASCE/GCE. NECO not accepted
- Not above the age of 21years. (evidence – birth certificate)
- Be a Rivers State indigene – (evidence LGA Letter of Identification)
- The Agency has a provision for the physically challenged. Annually they estimated for about 10 students.
Worth of Awards
- Air Fare
- Tuition (School, Lab, Books, etc)
- Accommodation (Halls of Residence within the school; Private apartments outside the School)
- Monthly Upkeep
Deadline: April 30, 2012
For more information, and to apply online, click here