The Korean Government offers Bachelors, Masters and PhD Scholarships for International Students to study at various Korean Universities and Higher Institutions 2016/2017.
The Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP) is offered to international students who want to pursue Bachelors, Masters and PhD degrees in Korean Universities. The scholarship is aimed to provide international students with an opportunity to conduct advanced studies at higher educational institutions in Korea, to develop global leaders and strengthen Korea-friendly networks worldwide.
Accepted Subject Areas: Courses offered at one of the 60 participating Korean higher institutions.
Worth of Award
- Airfare: A round-trip economy class ticket
- Monthly Allowance: 900,000 won per month
- Relocation (Settlement) Allowance: 200,000 won upon arrival
- Language Training Fee : The full costs up to 1 year
- Tuition: All admission fees are waived by the host institution. The full tuition is paid by NIIED and the University.
- Medical Insurance: 20,000 won per month(limited insurance coverage) will be provided to the university for students.
- Research Allowance: 210,000 won for students in humanities and social sciences; 240,000 won for students in natural and mechanic sciences per semester
- Dissertation Printing Costs: 500,000 ~ 800,000 won for the costs related to a printing dissertation
- Korean Proficiency Grants: 100,000 KRW per month for scholars with TOPIK Level 5 or 6
The scholarships are open to students from the following countries:
China, Japan, Russia, Cambodia, Mongolia, Vietnam, Mexico, India, Indonesia, Thailand, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Kazakhstan, Myanmar, Chinese Taipei, Uzbekistan, Turkey, USA,Ethiopia, Colombia, Nepal, Senegal, Bangladesh, Ukraine, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Morocco, Azerbaijan, El Salvador, Egypt, Tanzania, Germany, France, Dominica, Chile, Iran, Canada,Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kyrgyzstan, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Pakistan, Gabon, Romania, Belarus, Bulgaria, Slovakia, United Kingdom, Czech, Guatemala, Ecuador, Algeria, Yemen, Uganda, Belize, Honduras, Italy, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, Poland, Ghana, Georgia, Greece, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, NIGERIA, Republic of South Africa, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste, Rwanda, Libya, Lithuania, Moldavia, Bahrain, Barbados, Bahamas, Venezuela, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Brazil, Brunei, Serbia, Seychelles, Sudan, Sweden, Slovenia, Armenia, Argentina, Haïti, Ireland, Afghanistan,Angola, Oman, Austria, Uruguay, Iraq, Israel, Zambia, Cameroon, Qatar, Kenya, Costa Rica,Cote d’Ivoire, Croatia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Panama, Paraguay, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Fiji, Hungary, Australia, Jordan
- The applicant and his/her parents must hold foreign citizenships.
* Applicants who hold Korean citizenship are not permitted to apply for this program.
- Applicants must be under 40 years of age as of Sep. 1st, 2013 (born after Sep. 1st, 1973).
- Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree as of September 1st of the selection year.
* Applicants who have enrolled in or graduated from a university in Korea are not eligible for the KGSP program. Specifically, applicants who have previously enrolled in or graduated from an undergraduate program, a master’s program, or a doctoral program in Korea cannot apply for this program.
- Applicants must maintain a grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.64 on a 4.0 scale, 2.80 on a 4.3 scale, 2.91 on a 4.5 scale, or grades/marks/score of 80% or higher from the previously attended institution. If the applicant does not satisfy the above GPA requirements, he/she will be ineligible to apply to this program.
How Many Scholarships are available?
700 persons (graduate course) will be awarded.
- Master’s course: 1 year Korean language course+ 2 years of Master’s course
- Doctoral course: 1 year Korean language course + 3 years of Doctoral course
How to Apply
Applicants can only apply for the scholarships through the Korean Embassy in their home country or a participating Korean University.
Deadline: Applicants submit their applications either to the Korean Embassies around the world or to the partering universities in Korea. The embassies and universities select the successful candidates among the applicants in the 1st round of selection. The applicants of the successful candidates will then be forwarded to NIIED.