The Department of Computing Science, Umeå University invites outstanding candidates for one postdoctoral researcher position within the field of database system, especially on heterogeneous database integration and management.
They are looking for a skillful researcher, who is able to contribute to their research environment through independent and innovative research, cooperate with other researchers, assist in the supervision of PhD students. The successful candidate will join a recently funded project at Umeå University on academic federated database construction and privacy preservation in federated databases.
- This project is focusing on creating an infrastructure for federated research databases by integrating major research databases at the university, like e.g. the Demographic data base, MONICA, VHU, and a number of national databases. A long term goal is to offer federation of databases at national as well as at international level. This initiative is in line with the investigation that the Swedish government recently initiated, where Umeå University is mentioned as a core partner in the anticipated technology development in this area.
- The federated database would be an integration of individual databases, which may be large, distributed, heterogeneous, and autonomous. During the construction and integrating process, it is of interest to explore academic and practical research topics, such as database records resolution, and privacy preservation. The processed individual databases often contain sensitive personal information and data. This implies that the result of cross-database analyses should not be, or may not be stored without being de-personalized. The research is expected to include development of both theory and methodologies that are highly relevant for a federated database infrastructure, with research regarding integrity and security in database systems as the most important focus. Technology used will include database technology, data mining, and privacy preservation.
- The appointment is for two years full time, expected to start from June 1, 2016, or as otherwise agreed.
- The applicant must have a PhD degree in computer science or another subject relevant for the project. In particular, the applicant must have a background in the area of data systems, especially on heterogeneous database integration and management. The PhD degree shall not be more than three years old by the end of the application period unless there are special reasons. Good research merits and excellent publications in the area of the position are strongly meriting. Excellent communication skills in both written and spoken English are required.
- In the selection of candidates, attention is paid to both academic and practical skills. Particular emphasis will be put on the degree of academic experiences, practical skills and interest in the following areas:
- Research and practical experiences on database system is essential, especially on distributed, autonomous, heterogeneous databases integration, federated database deployment and management (e.g., query, concurrency control). Experience on privacy preservation on federated databases, data mining, and relevant topics would be a plus.
- Programming proficiency on at least one objective language and one script language (e.g., Java/Matlab/Python/Perl/C/C++)
- Publication records on database system, database management, or relevant disciplines
- Experience of Web service deployment and development under Windows/Linux
- Ability and experience of applying open source software (Apache tomcat, Mysql, Lucene, Spark etc.)
- Internal and international collaboration experience in academia/industry on database technology
Proficiency in English, both spoken and written, is required.
How to Apply
A complete application should include:
- Applications must be submitted electronically using the e-recruitment system MyNetwork Pro, and be received no later than March 31, 2016. Reference number: AN 2.2.1–97–16.
- Cover letter including a brief (approximately 2 pages) description of your research interests in relation to the research area mentioned above and how your expertise would contribute.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV), including a complete list of scientific publications.
- Copies of at most five relevant scientific publications, numbered according to the publication list
- A copy of your Ph D Thesis
- Copies of relevant degree certificates and other documentation you wish to include in support of your application.
- Names and contact details, including e-mail addresses, of at least three reference persons.
- Other information relevant for the position, such as documentation and description of experiences from software development and work in or with industry
Please observe that all material needs to be in Swedish or English.
For enquiries and more information, please contact Assistant Professor Lili Jiang (email: [email protected]).
Deadline: Application submission deadline is March 31, 2016.