The Institute of International Education (IIE) is now accepting applications for the Dissertation Fellowship in Population, Reproductive Health, and Economic Development. Sponsored by The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, Fellows will receive stipends to support tuition and research expenses. In addition, Fellows will become part of a network of researchers and participate in professional development opportunities. Applicants should be currently enrolled in Ph.D. programs in either sub-Saharan Africa, the United States or Canada, and should have completed their coursework by the start of the fellowship. Students in economics, geography, population studies, and epidemiology are especially encouraged to apply.
The objective of The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation/IIE Dissertation Fellowship is to produce sound evidence on the role of population and reproductive health in economic development that could be incorporated into national and international economic planning and decision making.
These fellowships will support dissertation research on topics that examine how population dynamics, family planning, and reproductive health influence economic development, including economic growth, poverty reduction, and equity.
Research that focus on one of the following themes will be given priority:
- The impact of reproductive health on women’s economic empowerment, particularly as measured by economic outcomes at the household and individual levels
- Relationships between reproductive health/family planning (including population policies and dynamics) and macroeconomic outcomes in countries.
The research must include a strong quantitative component, with an emphasis on rigorous data analysis. They encourage the development or use of new statistical approaches. Finally, the research must have strong policy relevance, demonstrating an interest in communicating research results with researchers, academics, program managers, planners, and policymakers.
• Applications to be submitted both electronically and by post.
• Electronic application combined with attachments to be less than 8MB
• Email applications to: [email protected]
• Hard-copy by Post with Original signed reference letters to:
Hewlett Foundation/IIE Dissertation Fellowship
Institute of International Education
809 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017
United States of America
• Take note of the 7 components that must be part of the application (see website)
• Research of relevant subject matter will only be considered
Deadline is March 5, 2012.
For more information, and to apply, click here