Worth of Award
- A Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship provides tuition, a monthly living stipend, round-trip airfare, health insurance, and travel allowance.
- After earning their degree, developing country scholars commit to return to home to use their new skills to contribute to their countries’ social and economic development.
Broadly speaking, Developing Country nationals applying for the Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship must:
- Be a national of a World Bank member developing country;
- Not hold dual citizenship of a developed country;
- Be in good health;
- Hold a Bachelor (or equivalent) degree earned at least three years prior to the Application Deadline date;
- Have three years or more of recent development-related experience after earning a Bachelor (or equivalent) degree;
- Be accepted unconditionally to enroll in the upcoming academic year in at least one of the JJWBGSP Preferred or Partner Masters degree Programs;
- Not be an Executive Director, his/her alternate, and/or staff of all types of appointments of the World Bank Group or a close relative of the aforementioned by blood or adoption with the term “close relative” defined as: Mother, Father, Sister, Half-sister, Brother, Half-brother, Son, Daughter, Aunt, Uncle, Niece, or Nephew;
*Please note: All eligibility criteria are strictly adhered to. No exceptions are made. Eligibility criteria WILL NOT change during an open call for applications. However, this information is subject to change between the close of one application process and the opening of the next.
How to Apply
Applicants can apply for scholarships to both Preferred and Partner Programs. The process to apply to a Preferred Program and to a Partner Program differs:
- Those seeking a JJ/WBGSP Partner Program scholarship must first apply for admission to one or more of the Partner Master’s Degree Program(s).
After identifying those admitted to their academic program, each Partner Master Degree Program will identify a shortlist of JJWBGSP-eligible candidates who will then be invited by the JJWBGSP Secretariat to apply for a JJ/WBGSP scholarship.
- Those seeking a JJ/WBGSP Preferred Program scholarship must apply directly and be admitted unconditionally to one or more of the Preferred Program(s) before submitting a JJWBGSP scholarship through an open call typically announced within the first two months of a calendar year.
Deadline: Applications close on May 21, 2021.