Applications are invited for the University of Pretoria research fellowship. The university houses the next generation of scholars in recognition of the importance of having research capacity within the university research entities and research activities. The fellows should make a significant contribution to the research programme in which they participate and develop their careers as independent investigators.
The Fellowships are intended to foster existing academic research and scholarly or creative activities within the university by:
· allowing established researchers and research entities to recruit outstanding young individuals to increase their research-capacity and – activities, or develop new areas of research that would enhance existing research programmes
· providing outstanding young researchers with an opportunity to develop their academic and research skills at UP
· encouraging the presence of the fellows by the development of new areas of research, enhanced research productivity through the increased level of high quality publications and the throughput of postgraduate students, and by the retention of the individuals within academic careers
These fellowships are awarded on a competitive basis. Prospective research fellows have to consult prospective research leaders (mentors) with whom they become co-applicants for a research fellowship. Prospective research leaders (mentors) will apply for these fellowships, irrespective of the source of funding, through the UP Advisory Committee for Research Fellowships.
- Research fellows are required to have a doctorate and at least two years of post-doctoral Experience
- The expertise and research focus of the research fellow should contribute to a noticeable increase in good quality research outputs
- The abilities and previous achievements of candidates will be important criteria in identifying suitable fellows. This should be supported by at least two letters of reference from academic sources (e.g. the candidate’s doctoral supervisor) to testify to the candidate’s academic abilities and the suitability of his/her research experience for the proposed research project
A UP Research fellowship will be equivalent to the vacancy value of a lectureship or senior
lectureship. The research leader or entity should provide a budget indicating the source of funding and resources that would be utilised to support the work of the research fellow.
Deadline: March 9, 2012
For more information, and to apply, click here.