The Climate Change Media Partnership (CCMP) invites applications for Reporting fellowships for journalists to attend the UN climate negotiations in Santiago, Chile, from 7-13 December 2019 (with arrival on the 6th and departure on the 14th).
Since its launch in 2007, the CCMP has brought more than 300 journalists from developing countries worldwide to attend and report on the Conference of Parties (COP) to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, now in its 25th year. This has enabled them to cover the summit for their home audiences, work with experienced and knowledgeable journalists from around the world and gain a multifaceted understanding of climate change’s global impact.
This year’s selected Fellows will attend the second week of the UN climate negotiations in Santiago, Chile, from 7-13 December 2019 (with arrival on the 6th and departure on the 14th).
Worth of Award
- EJN will cover non-refundable economy-class airfare, accommodation, meals and transportation costs of selected Fellows.
- They will also reimburse for meal and other transport expenses acquired in transit, facilitate the press accreditation process, and provide any other support relating to the trip.
- Please note that the process of obtaining any necessary visas is the Fellow’s individual responsibility. Visa costs can be reimbursed, however.
To be eligible for the Fellowship, applicants must:
- Be a professional journalist from or representing an established media house and reporting from a developing country in Latin America, the Caribbean, Africa, or developing Asia (with a special focus on journalists from Bangladesh or eastern India — West Bengal, Odisha, Andhra Pradesh or Tamil Nadu). Because of the location of this year’s COP, we expect at least half the Fellows to be selected from the Latin America and Caribbean region;
- Fill out the application form using the link below. This form includes questions that illustrate the applicant’s experience reporting on climate change issues and the kinds of stories they might pursue at the conference;
- Be available to travel so that they can attend COP25 in Chile, arriving on December 6 and departing on December 14;
- Commit to participate in all Fellowship activities;
- Provide a letter of support from an editor, producer or supervisor who can confirm that your news reports will be published or broadcast in an established media outlet. Freelancers are welcome to apply, but must provide a letter of support from a media outlet they intend to report for.
How to Apply
- You can apply through the link on their website
- Applicants will be asked to submit samples of their work, which can be uploaded as text or web links.
- Stories can be sent in a native language as long as they are accompanied by a short English synopsis. However, a good command of English is a prerequisite for participation in Fellowship activities.
Deadline: Application closes October 13, 2019.