The Academy Scholars are a select community of individuals with resourcefulness, initiative, curiosity, and originality, whose work in cultures or regions outside of the US or Canada shows promise as a foundation for exceptional careers in major universities or international institutions.
Worth of Award
- Postdoctoral Academy Scholars will receive an annual stipend of $70,000.
- If selected before earning the PhD, the Scholars will receive an annual stipend of $31,000 until awarded the PhD.
- This stipend is supplemented by funding for conference and research travel, research assistants, and health insurance coverage.
- Some teaching is permitted but not required.
- The competition for these awards is open only to recent PhD (or comparable professional school degree) recipients and doctoral candidates in the social sciences or law.
- Those still pursuing a PhD should have completed their routine training and be well along in the writing of their theses before applying to become Academy Scholars.
- If you have completed a PhD program, the PhD completion date must be within three years of the October 1 application deadline.
- You must have completed your PhD or equivalent after September 30, 2017.
- The Selection Committee considers all applicants in one applicant pool.
How to Apply
The completed application will include:
- A cover letter which succinctly states the applicant’s academic field, country or region of specialization, and proposed research topic
- Curriculum vitae (CV) or resumé; including list of publications
- Research proposal (2500 word maximum); including intellectual objectives and planned methodological and disciplinary work
- A copy of your PhD program transcript
- Three letters of recommendation (uploaded through the online application)
- All parts of the application, including the three letters of recommendation, are submitted online as pdf documents.
- The online application is accessed through the homepage of The Harvard Academy’s website.
Deadline: Application closes on October 1, 2020.