The NZIDRS provides full tuition fees plus a living stipend for up to 36 months for international students to undertake PhD study at a New Zealand university. The NZIDRS are funded by the New Zealand Government and administered by Education New Zealand. Recipients can undertake PhD study in any discipline.
Recipients can undertake PhD study at any of New Zealand’s eight Universities:
AUT University, Lincoln University, Massey University, University of Auckland, University of Canterbury, University of Otago, University of Waikato, Victoria University of Wellington.
Worth of Award
The NZIDRS covers:
- New Zealand University tuition fees and associated student levies for 3 years
- An annual living stipend of NZ$25,000 per year for three years (NZ$2083.33 per month for 36 months)
- Medical insurance coverage up to NZ$600 annually for 3 years
You must meet ALL five eligibility criteria. These criteria are non-negotiable.
- You can be a citizen of any country except New Zealand, Australia or Fiji
- You must hold a minimum equivalent GPA of 3.6/4.0 OR an A to A+ average in your most recent or highest post graduate tertiary qualification
- You must conduct your PhD study in New Zealand (not from a distance)
- You must meet the requirements for direct entry into a PhD programme at a New Zealand University :this includes having completed the required academic qualifications for direct entry and meeting the requirements for English language proficiency
- If you have commenced your PhD studies in New Zealand, your start date must be after 15 January 2015
- The NZIDRS are awarded based on academic excellence and the impact of the PhD research for New Zealand. Applications must propose research that has a clear, tangible and positive effect on:
- New Zealand’s economy, in terms of international trade and business development in key sectors
- Or, New Zealand’s population in terms of health and safety
- Or, Research and scholarship in the above two areas
How to Apply
- Download and complete an NZIDRS Application Form (available below)
- Answer all questions by completing all fields and submit your form along with ALL required documents to Education New Zealand
- Applying for the NZIDRS and applying to study at a New Zealand university are two completely separate processes.
- Education New Zealand (ENZ) is not a university, we are a government body that supports the international education sector in New Zealand.
- Unfortunately, ENZ cannot facilitate or participate in your admission to a New Zealand university. Candidates are responsible for applying and gaining admission to a university in New Zealand, and must produce evidence of this as part of their NZIDRS application.
- Our Study In New Zealand website is a great place to start your New Zealand education journey and you can search by what university you want to study with, or search by course, and find out which university provides the course that you want to participate in. From there, you can contact the institutions directly or search their websites for admission requirements, course selection and enrolment details.
Deadline: Application closes by 15 July 2015.
Click here for more details and apply