The Flinders International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (FIPRS) opens for applications from international students for the 2015 awards. These are specifically intended to support international students to undertake a research higher degree at Flinders University, the Scholarship covers international tuition fees and a stipend.
A limited number of (up to 10) FIPRS scholarships are available each year and the scholarship round is highly competitive. The FIPRS is awarded to candidates who demonstrate outstanding aptitude for independent research. The FIPRS are considered on the basis of academic merit, academic research training and research indicators and performance.
The scholarship is tenable for up to three years for a Research Doctorate degree and up to two years for a Research Masters degree. Successful applicants are required to undertake full time study and must be commencing a research higher degree in Australia for the first time.
Worth of Award
- The scholarship enables suitably qualified applicants to commence a full-time research higher degree.
- The FIPRS pays the international student tuition fees charged by Flinders University for a research higher degree.
- In addition, Flinders University provides the recipient with a generous living allowance paid at the rate of $25,849 (2015 full rate). It is tax exempt and indexed annually.
- An FIPRS student who moves to Adelaide from overseas is eligible for an establishment allowance (after arrival at Flinders) of up to $1,485 to assist with relocation costs and airfares, provided receipts can be produced by the student.
- Applicants must satisfy the University’s academic entry requirements for a Masters degree by research or Doctorate by research.
- Applicants are required to have successfully completed at least the equivalent of an Australian First Class Hons degree(this is a four year degree with a major research project in the final year)
- Applicants must have met the English proficiency levels set by Flinders University for international students at the time of application. Students for whom English is a foreign language will need to provide evidence of their English language competence.
- Applicants must not hold an equivalent research higher degree qualification. Applications are only open to students commencing a research higher degree in Australia for the first time.
- Applicants must not hold Australian citizenship, Australian permanent resident status or New Zealand citizenship. Please see the attached conditions of award for full eligibility criteria.
Please see the attached conditions of award for full eligibility criteria.
How to Apply
All applicants are required to read the application guidelines provided below before submitting an application.Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
To ensure your application is complete and competitive, please read and attend to the following:
- Research Supervisor: You must make contact with an academic staff member in your relevant academic area and have an informal agreement from that person to supervise you if successful. Email evidence of the supervisor’s agreement should be included with your application. Applicants who do not have a supervisor at the time of application will not be considered for an IPRS/FIPRS.
- Publications: You must include copies of up to five of your publications, each accompanied with a completed coversheet; publications without coversheets will not be considered. These publications will be used to judge the quality of your previous research in the area that you intend to study at Flinders University. Applicants with more than five publications should consult with their Flinders University supervisor in selecting the best five. Explain briefly why these five were chosen. Do not include copies of more than five publications. Additional publications may be noted on your CV or in a separate list. Coversheets are not required for publications listed on the CV but not included among the top five.
- Typically, only publications in English should be included among the top five. Publications in other languages will be accepted only if the nature of the publication (for example, a report to a government agency) dictates that another language is most appropriate. Please note, due to the highly competitive nature of the IPRS, applicants who have not published are unlikely to be competitive.
- Academic Transcripts
Applicants must provide a certified copy of all university level academic transcripts, translated into English, please do not provide secondary school certificates or non educational certificates or awards.
- Research Proposal
You must include a research proposal of approximately 500 words in length, outlining the problem, hypothesis or question and the methodology or approach.
- Curriculum Vitae
An updated CV outlining your work experience, all research experience, and a full list of cited publications should be included with your application.
- Application Format & Language
All documents that are submitted electronically should be in English, saved preferably as a PDF and scanned and saved in the correct orientation. Please name all document with your family name and document name, for example: name_Transcript, name_publication 1
- If you send an electronic application by email and you are successful, you will be required to provide all of your original or certified documents to the International Office before your scholarship will commenced.
- Any questions about the application process should be directed to the Student Finance Office via email at [email protected]
- Download the conditions of award for this scholarship scheme. This document is provided as an Adobe Acrobat portable document format (pdf) file. You will need to install the Adobe Acrobat reader on your computer to view pdf files. The Adobe Acrobat Reader is available free of charge from Adobe’s website. Adobe provides tools for converting pdf files to HTML and ASCII text for users with vision impairments at its access.adobe.com website. If you require this document in other formats (plain text, ASCII), please contact the Student Finance Services.
- Download Publication Forms
- Download Referee Report
- Download Ranking Guidelines
Deadline: application closes August 14, 2015
Click here for more details and to apply