One important task of the Nordic Africa Institute is to establish and maintain relations with African research communities. This is inter alia carried out through a Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Programme, the aim of which is to provide opportunities for African scholars to pursue their own research projects, thereby indirectly strengthening the academic milieux in African countries, and promoting scholarly exchange with Nordic research communities.
Worth of Award
- The African Guest Researchers’ scholarship includes a return air-fare (economy class), accommodation, a subsistence allowance of 300 SEK (approx. 40 USD) per day plus an installation grant of 2,500 SEK (approx. 310 USD) and access to a computer in a shared office at NAI.
- The maximum duration of the stay is 90 days, minimum is 60 days. Please note that most academic institutions in the Nordic countries, including the Nordic Africa Institute, are closed or at least running at a reduced capacity during the periods 15 June–15 August and 15 December–15 January. Applicants are thus asked not to choose these periods for their visit.
- The Institute’s library is specialized in literature on contemporary Africa and focuses on Social Sciences. Guest Researchers also have access to the Uppsala University Library, including their online resources, and to the Library of the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences.
Guest Researchers have the possibility to present their research at the Nordic Africa Institute and to visit other institutions in the Nordic countries.
- The African Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Programme is directed at scholars in Africa engaged in research on/about the African continent and with a proven track record of extensive research experience.
- The applicant should be placed at or affiliated with an African university or other African research institution. They would especially like to encourage women to apply for these scholarships.
- Applications are invited from scholars with research projects related to current thematic research clusters at the Institute:
- Agrarian Change, Property and Resources
- Conflict, Security and Democratic Transformation
- Mobility, Migration and Transnational Relations
- Urban Dynamics
Applicants are requested to identify within what cluster their project fits best and to motivate the identification.
How to ApplyThe application should contain
- a completed application form
- a short motivation of your selection of NAI research cluster
- an up-to-date curriculum vitæ
- a short abstract of the research project to be carried out at the Nordic Africa Institute
- a well elaborated research proposal outlining the main features of the research topic. The proposal should focus on the project to be carried out at the Nordic Africa Institute and include the expected results. Length of the proposal: 5 pages
- copies of and/or references to the applicant’s publications; the two most important articles related to the research project to be pursued at the Nordic Africa Institute
- a signed letter of support from the applicant’s Head of Department or other senior scholar in the same field
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered. Persons currently or previously employed by or otherwise professionally affiliated with the Nordic Africa Institute are not eligible for scholarships. Kindly also note that the application must be in English.
- Submission of applications
Applications can be sent by post/airmail or by email. Applications sent by post/airmail should contain 2 copies of each document.
- Applications sent by email should contain only 1 copy of each document.
- Applications sent by post/airmail should be addressed to
The Nordic Africa Institute
The African Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Programme (AGRP)
P.O. Box 1703
SE-751 47 Uppsala, Sweden.
- Applications sent by email should be addressed to
Marie Karlsson, Research Administrator, email: [email protected]
- Please note: On the subject line of your email, write: “Application: African Guest Researchers’ Scholarship”. Scanned versions of signed support letters can also be sent to the above email address.
Deadline: The application should be in by April 1,2015.
Marie Karlsson, [email protected], phone +46 18 471 52 47.