The Aga Khan Foundation, in collaboration with the UCL Institute of Education (IOE), invites applications for the Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships, awarded by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the United Kingdom.
Worth of Award
The scholarship will cover the cost of tuition fees for the course, travel and living expenses for the period of study in London.
- The Scholarships are open to prospective students from Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and Rwanda wishing to undertake the UCL Institute of Education’s MA in Education and International Development, MA in Educational Planning, Economics and International Development, MA in Education, Health Promotion and International Development or MA in Education, Gender and International Development beginning in October 2015.
- The Scholarship is for 2 years of part-time distance study. Students will spend the first year and one term studying on-line followed by a three-month period of study at the IOE in London (January to March 2017) and a period to complete their dissertations in their home countries.
- A degree course from a recognised university in education, economics, development or related studies – minimum 2nd Upper Class
- Prospective students must be citizens and residents of Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and Rwanda
- Relevant experience in a developing country context
- Experience in contributing to change at the national and/or international levels
- Must be proficient in English language (shortlisted applicants may be required to take an English language proficiency exam)
- Applicants must demonstrate how successful completion of the MA program will enhance their ability to contribute to social and educational development – across formal and informal educational settings, universities, government ministries, NGOs, donor agencies and with international bodies.
- Applicants who are able to demonstrate existing experience of bringing about change internationally and nationally are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must be aware that access to the internet is fundamental to successful completion of the course.
- The Aga Khan Foundation is a non-denominational, international development agency established in 1967. Its mission is to develop and promote creative solutions to problems that impede social development, primarily in Asia and Africa.
- The IOE is an international centre of excellence in education and related social sciences. It is first in the world university rankings for education* and first in the UK for education research strength**, and offers an unrivalled range of teacher training, masters programmes and doctorates to challenge, inspire and support students’ progress throughout their career in education.
How to Apply
- Applications are available online via their website. See link for details
- Please note that applications submitted directly to the IOE & Commonwealth Scholarship Commission will not be accepted. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: The closing date for applications is Wednesday 1st April 2015. Please submit the application via email to [email protected]
For more information please contact:
Aga Khan Foundation
East Africa Regional Office
P.O. Box 40898-00100
General Mathenge Drive, Westlands
Tel: +254-41-2005358 | 2002879 | Mobile +254 724 256 640
Email: [email protected]
Click here for more details and to apply