The Aga Khan Foundation provides a limited number of scholarships each year for postgraduate studies to outstanding students from select developing countries who have no other means of financing their studies, in order to develop effective scholars and leaders and to prepare them for employment, primarily within the AKDN. Scholarships are awarded on a 50% grant : 50% loan basis through a competitive application process once a year in June or July.
The Foundation gives priority to requests for Master’s level courses but is willing to consider applications for PhD programmes, only in the case of outstanding students who are highly recommended for doctoral studies by their professors and who need a PhD for the fulfilment of their career objectives (academic or research oriented). Applications for short-term courses are not considered; neither are applications from students who have already started their course of study.
Worth of Award
- The Foundation assists students with tuition fees and living expenses only.
- The cost of travel is not included in AKF scholarships.
- Funding for PhD programmes is only provided for the first two years of study, after which the students are expected to find alternative sources of assistance.
- Financial assistance is provided according to the needs of students, but the ISP must be considered a lender of last resort. Applicants are requested to make every effort to obtain funding from other sources as well, so that the amount requested from the Foundation can be reduced to a minimum. Preference is given to those who have been able to secure some funding from alternative sources.
- Half of the scholarship amount is considered as a loan, which must be reimbursed with an annual service charge of 5%. A guarantor is required to co-sign the loan agreement.
- The payback period is five years, starting six months after the study period funded by the Aga Khan Foundation.
- Geographic Scope
The Foundation accepts applications from nationals of the following countries: Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Syria, Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Madagascar and Mozambique. In France, Portugal, UK, USA and Canada, applications are accepted from those who are originally from one of the above developing countries, are interested in development-related studies and who have no other means of financing their education.
- Residency Requirement
The Foundation only accepts applications of eligible nationals listed above who are residing in one of the countries where there are local Aga Khan Foundation (AKF), Aga Khan Education Services (AKES), or Aga Khan Education Board (AKEB) offices which process applications and interview candidates.
- Age Limit
Preference is given to students under 30 years of age.
The main criteria for selecting award winners are:
- consistently excellent academic records,
- Genuine financial need,
- Admission to a highly reputable university or programme of study and
- Relevance of the field of study to AKDN’s focus areas.
- Candidates are also evaluated on demonstrating thoughtful and coherent educational and career plans, their extra-curricular interests and achievements, potential to achieve their goals and likelihood to succeed in a foreign academic environment.
- Applicants are expected to have some years of work experience in their field of interest.
How to Apply
- The application procedures of AKF’s International Scholarship Programme are decentralised.
- Students may obtain application forms as of January 1st each year from AKF offices or Aga Khan Education Services / Boards in their countries of current residence.
- Completed applications should be returned to the agency from which the form was obtained. They should not be sent to Geneva.
Deadline: The deadline for submission of entire completed applications is March 31, although in certain countries internal deadlines may be earlier in order to process and review applications. Applicants are advised to contact the local offices for internal deadline dates and requirements as these may vary from country to country. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.