A limited number of scholarships are offered for the UNU-IAS Master of Science in Sustainability programme under the Asian Development Bank–Japan Scholarship Program (ADB–JSP).
The award of the scholarship is based on application selection results. Only applicants that are accepted for enrollment in the UNU-IAS Master of Science in Sustainability programme can be considered as candidates for the ADB scholarship.
Worth of Award
- Full tuition, subsistence allowance including housing allowance, medical and accident insurance, books and instrumental allowance will be covered by the scholarship.
- A monthly subsistence allowance including housing allowance for one person for the academic year 2015 is approximately JPY 150,000 (subject to change for the academic year 2016). An economy class airfare will also be provided for the most direct route between the scholar’s home country and Tokyo Narita International Airport.
Location of Study: Japan
- Citizens of the developing countries that are borrowing members of the Asian Development Bank. (Applicants from countries that are no longer borrowing from ADB are not eligible for the ADB–JSP Scholarship: Hong Kong; the Republic of Korea; Singapore and Taiwan (Republic of China)
- A Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent with superior academic record. For applicants from Nepal, Bangladesh or Pakistan who have earned their Master’s degree in their home country and have completed only 16 years of education, their master’s level education will only be equivalent to a Japanese bachelor’s degree.
- At least two years of full-time professional working experience (acquired after a university degree) at the time of application.
- Proficiency in oral and written English communication skills to be able to pursue studies.
- Should agree to return to his/her home country after completion of studies under the Program.
- Executive Directors, Alternate Directors, management and staff of ADB, consultants, and relatives of the aforementioned are not eligible for the Scholarship.
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his/her home country are not eligible for the ADB-JSP scholarship. However, applicants working at ADB’s developing member countries are eligible to apply.
- Applicants who are already enrolled in graduate degree programs are not eligible. This includes those who have already obtained a Master’s Degree at institutes aside from UNU-IAS.
- Applicants who have never studied abroad.Not more than 35 years old at the time of application.
- In good health.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit the following documents in addition to the application documents required by UNU-IAS. Please upload the following documents under section 7c of the online application form.
- ADB-JSP Information Sheet
- Certificates of annual income of the applicant
- Certificate of family income (parents’ income if single or income of the spouse if married.
Deadline: February 27, 2015