University of Essex Social Sciences Doctoral Scholarships support talented PhD students to study at the University.
These awards are available to students who can demonstrate an excellent academic background and the potential for future achievement, as well as financial need. They are awarded for each year of study during the standard minimum period of enrolment for your degree, subject to satisfactory progress.
Worth of Award
- The award consists of a full Home/EU fee waiver or equivalent fee discount for overseas students (likely to be around £4,000 in 2015-16),
- living costs of £12,000 per year (combining an annual stipend (£8,000) and
- a Graduate Teaching or Research Assistantship (£4,000) in years two and three),
- plus a training bursary of £250 per year and Proficio points, which may be used to ‘buy’ advanced skills training.
Location of Study: United Kingdom
- This award is available to UK, EU and international full-time PhD students.
- Successful international applicants will need to fund the balance of the tuition fees.
- To be eligible, you must hold an offer from the University of Essex for a PhD, Integrated PhD or full-time Professional Doctorate (not MPhil, Doctor of Medicine, Masters by Dissertation or part-time Professional Doctorate) for 2015-16 entry.
How to Apply
Candidates will be selected for the award of a scholarship on the following criteria:
- academic ability – based on previous academic qualifications, normally a Master’s degree with distinction or merit
- research potential – based on the candidate’s research proposal submitted with their application, as well as their statement on the scholarship application form
- professional development potential – based on the candidate’s skills, aptitudes and potential to support their department’s undergraduate teaching or research activities
- financial need – based on evidence provided on the scholarship application form
- You should complete the University of Essex Social Sciences Doctoral Scholarship application form online via your myEssex applicant portal.
- This will become available to you once you have received an official offer of admission for a relevant course from the Graduate Admissions Office.
Deadline: application closes March 1, 2015
Click here for more details