The United States Department of State invites applications for the TechWomen Emerging Leaders Fellowship for Next Generation of Women Leaders in the USA in 2023.
TechWomen aims to empower, connect and support the next generation of women leaders in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) by providing them access and opportunity to advance their careers, pursue their dreams, and become role models for women and girls in their communities. It supports the United States’ global commitment toward advancing the rights and participation of women and girls around the world by enabling them to reach their full potential in the tech industry.
Worth of Award
- TechWomen brings emerging women leaders in STEM from Africa, Central and South Asia, and the Middle East. It brings them together with their professional counterparts in the United States for a mentorship and exchange program.
- It provides participants access to networks, resources and knowledge to empower them to reach their full potential.
- During the five-week program, participants engage in project-based mentorships at leading companies in the San Francisco Bay Area or Chicago.
- They participate in professional development workshops and networking events, and travel to Washington, DC. for targeted meetings and special events to conclude the program.
- Be women with at minimum, two years full-time professional experience in the STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) fields. Please note that internships and other unpaid work experience does not count toward the two-year professional experience requirement.
- Have, at minimum, a bachelor’s degree/four-year university degree or equivalent.
- Be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Be citizens and permanent residents of Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Nigeria, Pakistan, the Palestinian Territories, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan or Zimbabwe at the time of application and while participating in the program.
- Be eligible to obtain a U.S. J-1 exchange visitor visa.
- Not have applied for an immigrant visa to the United States (other than the Diversity Immigrant Visa, also known as the “visa lottery”) in the past five years.
- Not hold U.S. citizenship or be a U.S. legal permanent resident.
Preference will be given to applicants who:
- Demonstrate themselves as emerging leaders in their chosen professional track through their work experience, volunteer experience, community activities and education.
- Have limited or no prior experience in the United States.
- Have a proven record of voluntary or public service in their communities.
- Are committed to return to their home countries to share what they have learned and mentor women and girls.
- Have a demonstrated track record of entrepreneurialism and commitment to innovation.
- Demonstrate a willingness to participate in exchange programs, welcome opportunities for mentoring and new partnership development, and exhibit confidence and maturity.
How to Apply
Apply for the TechWomen Emerging Leaders Fellowship online via the official website.
Deadline: The Fall 2023 application closes 09:00 AM PST (GMT-08:00), Friday, January 13, 2023.