The University of Adelaide offers a scholarships scheme for international students undertaking postgraduate research study. Its purpose is to attract high quality overseas postgraduate students to areas of research strength in the University of Adelaide to support its research effort. The selection for scholarships is extremely competitive.
A number of ASI scholarships may be available in the midyear round of scholarships for semester 2, 2012 to outstanding international students from any country undertaking postgraduate research in any academic discipline.
Worth of Awards
- The scholarship provides course tuition fees for two years for a Master’s degree by Research and three years for a Doctoral research degree (an extension is possible for doctoral programs only); An annual living allowance of approximately $23,728 (2012 value) for the normal duration of the program; and
- If the award holder holds a subclass 574 visa the award covers the cost of compulsory standard Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) Worldcare policy for the student and their spouse and dependents (if any) for the period of the scholarship. If the award holder does not hold a subclass 574 visa then he/she is responsible for the cost of health insurance.
Eligibility and Conditions of Awards
- Applicants should hold at least the equivalent of an Australian First Class Honours degree. This is a four year degree with a major research project in the final year. Other criteria that will be taken into consideration is undergraduate performance, bachelor and honours awards and scholarships, other postgraduate degrees, publications in internationally refereed journals, the presentation of conference papers and relevant industry experience. ASI Scholarship will be awarded strictly on academic merit. Extra-curricular achievements will not be considered.
- Citizens and Permanent Residents of Australia, and citizens of New Zealand are ineligible
- Those undertaking research via remote candidature are ineligible.
- International applicants are not eligible for an ASI if they have already commenced the degree for which they are seeking an award, unless they can establish that they were unable to apply for an ASI in the last round of the previous calendar year
- International applicants who have not provided evidence of their meeting English language proficiency requirements by the closing date are not eligible for an ASI
- International applicants must not hold a research qualification regarded by the University of Adelaide to be equivalent to an Australian Research Doctorate degree or, if undertaking a Research Master’s degree, not hold a research qualification regarded by the University of Adelaide to be equivalent to or higher than an Australian Research Master’s degree
- Candidates are required to enrol in the University of Adelaide as ‘international students’ and must maintain ‘international student’ status for the duration of their enrolment in the University
- Scholarships holders must commence study at The University of Adelaide in semester 2, 2012. No ASI may be commenced after 30 November 2012
- Scholarship winners will not be permitted to defer commencement until 2013
- Applicants who applied in previous international major scholarship rounds are not eligible to apply again.
The offer of an ASI scholarship is contingent upon a student not holding another award by the Commonwealth of Australia, The University of Adelaide, or an overseas sponsor.
Deadline: May 1, 2012. Applicants will be notified by the end of June 2012 regarding the outcome of their scholarship application.
For more information, and to apply, click here.