The University of Edinburgh invites applications from qualified candidates for its 2012-2013 admissions and scholarships. These awards are designed to attract high quality overseas research students to the University of Edinburgh. At least 30 Edinburgh Global Research Scholarships will be awarded for session 2012-2013.
Worth of Awards
Each award covers the difference between the tuition fee for a UK/EU graduate student and that chargeable to an overseas graduate student. The awards do not cover maintenance expenses. Subject to satisfactory progress, the awards are tenable for up to three years.
- The awards are open to overseas students undertaking a research degree and may be held in any field of study
- Applicants must be liable to pay tuition fees at the rate applicable to overseas students and must have already applied for admission to a full-time PhD research programme of study or currently be pursuing such a programme
- Applicants must be of outstanding academic merit and research potential
- Although candidates with an upper second class honours Bachelor’s degree (or the overseas equivalent) can be considered, in order to be competitive you should really have a first class Bachelor’s degree supplemented by an excellent Master’s degree.
Other factors such as financial status, nationality and the proposed field of study are not taken into account.
- The University of Edinburgh will not generally consider candidates who have already obtained a PhD, or formal equivalent, as a result of direct research training; or who are due to enter the third year of their PhD programme of study
- Please also note that if you have applied for consecutive registration where you will start your Master’s programme of study in 2012 and your PhD the following year in 2013, you will not be eligible to apply for an award in 2012
- Edinburgh Global Research Scholarships cannot be held concurrently with fully-funded scholarships such as a Commonwealth Scholarship, or a Marshall Scholarship.
How to Apply
Eligible applicants should complete an online scholarship application by the closing date.
Please note that you will not be able to access the online application form unless you have applied for admission to the University of Edinburgh and have full EASE authentication.
Deadline: February 1, 2012.
Notification of award: Successful applications will receive their Edinburgh Global Research Scholarship result letter in April 2012.
For more information about the scholarships, click here.
To begin your application for admission, click here.