Victoria University of Wellington invites applications for the 2016 postgraduate research; the University offers scholarships to students about to begin a full-time, research-focused Master’s degree.
Worth of Award
Over thirty scholarships shall be offered, consisting of a $15,000 stipend, plus domestic fees.
- Applications are sought from those who are eligible at the time of application, or who will have become eligible within six months of notification, to enrol for a Master’s degree by thesis worth 90 points or more.
- In some cases this will be Part 2 of a two-year Master’s degree and will usually have the course code 591.
- Applicants undertaking a 180 point Master’s degree will not be eligible for this scholarship unless they are undertaking a thesis component of at least 90 points (this must be a 90 point thesis paper not a combination of a number of research papers). The scholarship value will be adjusted in this case as per the value below.
- Applicants would normally be expected to have completed a Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree Part 1 demonstrating academic achievement equivalent to a First-Class Honours degree from a New Zealand University.
- Scholarships will be awarded solely on the basis of academic merit by the University Research Scholarships Committee, a sub-committee of the
University Research Committee.See regulations attached for full details
How to apply
- Applications for these scholarships must be made on the forms obtainable from the top of this page or from the Scholarships Office.
- Referees statements: A template form for referees is available online, see link below.
- It is important that you submit ONLY the documentation requested on the application form available from the link above, additional information will not be circulated to selection panels. Application forms and supporting documents should be sent to:Scholarships Office
10 Kelburn Parade
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600
Wellington, New Zealand
- Scholarship applicants must contact directly the School in which they wish to enrol so that their research proposal and the feasibility of supervision can be assessed. Enrolling as a Master’s student and applying for a Victoria Master’s Scholarship are two separate processes. The holding of Victoria Master’s Scholarship is conditional upon the scholarship recipient gaining enrolment as a Master’s student.
- Applicants, other than those who have completed all of their study at Victoria, must include a certified copy of their academic record from other institutions with this application. Applicants whose degree has been conferred at any university other than a New Zealand University will be considered in two categories:
Category 1 – applicants from the UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, Germany or Australia must supply an original or certified copy of their university transcript.
Category 2 – applicants from any other country must have their transcript verified and assessed with a course by course evaluation by one of the below educational evaluators:
Deadline: Application closes in two rounds
Stage one: Application closes on November 1, 2015
Stage two; Application closes on November 1, 2016