The Centre for Human Rights at the University of Pretoria invites applications for the 2012/2013 Gill Jacot Guillarmod Scholarship. The scholarship was instituted to honour Gill Jacot Guillarmod, Senior Project Manager and Liaison Officer of the Centre for Human Rights from 1 May 2001 to 15 January 2010.
Criteria Applicable to the Scholarship
- The Scholarship will be awarded annually to a Masters or Doctoral student studying towards a degree in human rights on a degree programme based within the Centre.
- The Scholarship will be awarded annually, for a student undertaking studies in the following academic year. The Scholarship will be awarded for the first time in November 2010, for studies in 2011. The recipient of the scholarship will be publicly announced on or around 10 December every year, as part of the LLM Graduation Ceremony. The scholarship amount will only be paid to the recipient once he or she has been registered with the University of Pretoria.
- All successful applicants for the LLM (Human Rights and Democratisation in Africa) may apply to be considered for this scholarship.
- Any doctoral student or masters student registered on any other programme in the Centre may also apply for this scholarship.
- The criteria for selection are: proven commitment to human rights; devotion to the cause of humanity; academic excellence; an ability to balance academic pursuit with other interests and financial need.
- At the time of making the application, an applicant must reveal any other scholarships already awarded for the intended programme.
Worth of awards
The scholarship will be utilised to cover tuition and accommodation fees should the student reside in a UP residence. The student may claim credits that arise on the student account due to the award.
How to Apply
- The Centre will advertise the Scholarship.
- Applications must reach the Operations Manager of the Centre by 30 October annually. Applications must consist of a letter of motivation, at least two letters of support, and the candidate’s most recent academic results or progress report (for currently registered doctoral students).
- Applicants should fulfil the criteria laid down by the University of Pretoria for enrolment for the field of study concerned.
- The Selection Committee will select students for award in accordance with the criteria for the scholarship and will submit a list of scholarship holders to the Division for Study Finance in order for the award to be made on the student’s account
- The recipient of the scholarship is not precluded from holding other bursaries.
Deadline: October 25, 2011
For more information, and to apply, visit their website by clicking here.